Hot Rod Forum banner

final sanding with 2 coats of clear?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
I sprayed the clear coat and it came out really nicely, a little bit of orange peel on some small areas but overal quite orange-peel free...

Since i sprayed 2 coats of clear, is it "risky" to sand as there is a chance of breaking through to base? Would it be recommended to skip just to the buffing stage and leave the small amounts of orange peel that exist?

The reason i sprayed 2 coats was that the specs for the clear (OMNI AU) said specifically 2 coats, not 2-3.

Additionally, if anyone has any specific advice about sanding/buffing the final clear, i would greatly appreciate it...

i plan on posting some pics soon

#2 ·
You should be okay knocking out minor orange peel and dirt nibs and buffing, but stay away from edges and start sanding with as fine a grit that will take care of what you are dealing with. Maybe try wetsanding with 1500 and taking a look if it is sanding out the defects you have. If not go to 1000 grit. If you use 1000 you will want to go over it again with finer grit, it will make the buffing back out easier. I would let the clear cure awhile if you just sprayed it today, may be able to start probably tommorrow sometime , when it is no longer fingerprinting. Look for the buff time in your tech sheets as a guide on hours. I'd use foam pads, IMO they make for a nicer job then starting with a wool pad. Just cause it says 2 coats you still could of probably put on another, but over 3 really shouldn't be needed for normal stuff. Anyways you should be fine if only doing some sanding (no major defects or big runs) if you stay away from sanding edges or hitting them hard with the buffer and still leave enough on the car. But it really depends on the mil thickness on those coats (and did all areas you will sand receive that much clear) and you are not sanding on an area you may be what you have when you are done. One painter could lay coats thicker then another. But I think you will be fine, although 3 coats gives you extra cushion. If you worried you will have to repaint a panel or pretty happy the way it is, you could leave it alone. Glad to hear you got clear on it with the questions you had yesterday and today. Must of got the gun adjustment figured out okay.

#3 ·
thanks alot for all the advice youve been giving kenseth. Ive always heard that the clear is the hardest to paint, yet it really went on very nicely and im very pleased with the results, especially since this is the first job ive ever tried...

The spec sheet says its ready for polishing and use after 16 hours, but ive heard many people say that waiting a week to sand and polish is helpful?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.