Finally(after 2 years in primer) blocking the high build, going to send her for paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finally(after 2 years in primer) blocking the high build, going to send her for paint

I almost can't believe, after all this time, the car is going to actually be painted.

It did not turn out to be a bad thing, having the car in primer for a couple years, and working out all the mechanical and many other issues, that came up during reassembly.

There were about 1/2 dozen or so minor bodywork flaws that showed up in the two years. A few tiny pinholes, a filler bubble, a couple misses by me, that showed up after primer.

Lots of little scratches and rash from installing and re-installing stuff.

Anyway, I started blocking the high build on the f/glass trunk last night. It's going to turn out nice.

I learned a ton of great bodywork stuff from the forum here, and the guys on it. Plus I read a lot of the articles. I think it paid off big time.
(thanks guys)

When I took the car in for initial epoxy primer, 2 years ago, the body shop told me that the metal work was so good, that they didn't need high build primer on it. Just primer and guide coat. Only the fiberglass needed high build.

I actually had the 'glass trunk done in high build twice, because I broke through in a couple areas.

I've had a lot of compliments on the body lines and fitment, and how straight the car is (even though it's only in primer)

It's been a long project, but I think it's turned out pretty nice. It was worth taking the time to get the bugs worked out while it was in primer. The car is a real nice driver and cruiser. I might put it in a couple shows, but it was never designed to be a show car or trailer queen.

Timing wise, I am hoping to have the high build all blocked out, and the few body flaws fixed this week.

I took the car on a 300 mile +/- shake down cruise a couple weeks ago. Everything worked perfectly. There are some last pics of the 'stang in primer, in my photo album. I'll post up some pics of the paint, when it's out of the body shop.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

good for you there is nothing like doing your own work on a car. I feel you get more of a bond with the car. I have done all my work on my car from body to engine etc and i can honestly say its a love and hate relationship with her. CAnt wait to see pics of her soon.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Last journal entry: First RoadCourse Video
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel85lx
good for you there is nothing like doing your own work on a car. I feel you get more of a bond with the car. I have done all my work on my car from body to engine etc and i can honestly say its a love and hate relationship with her. CAnt wait to see pics of her soon.
Love/Hate is a good way to describe it. Especially bodywork <shudder>
While I was blocking out the high build on the hood tonight, I noticed quite a bit of 'ghost image' on the surface, reflecting the sub structure.
It must be from the 2 years of engine heat on the hood.

The unsupported parts of the 'glass have shrunk slightly. I didn't see anything like this on the trunk.

It actually blocked out completely, but kind of surprised me. If I had painted it two years ago, this pattern would have been slightly visible in the paint.

Anyway, back to showering in dust

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.