Finally bought a mig!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finally bought a mig!!!

Well, I did it guys---bought a mig welder yesterday. Home Depot had a whale of a deal I couldn't pass up: 10% off and 12 months no payments on purchases over $299 with signing up for their credit card. I saved almost $40 on a good Lincoln wire-feed welder that is set up for flux core now, but I will be adding the regulator and cylinder later.

I am going to use the flux core for spot welding my floorboards in since it doesn't have to be as aesthetically pleasing. I'll get the cylinder for the patch panels that will be down the road some.

Thanks for all the advice about welders on this forum. I almost bought one of those cheapie no-name welders

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Cool buy! The welder will be your friend...I spend loads of time with mine. I bought on similiar to yours and it has served me and my 55 Chavy truck well. Enjoy that new toy... er...I mean tool.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Been using a little Lincoln welder for several years. They're great little welders and can do almost anything you'll need to do on a chassis or body.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:08 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Hey I love my lil Lincoln but not nearly as much as I love it now that I have converted it to mig. I welded my floor pans in with fluxcore and I will never try welding thin metal with fluxcore ever again after using mig. Of course you may be a more experienced welder than me.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Get that CO2/Argon as soon as you can, once you convert it you'll never go back.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Get that CO2/Argon as soon as you can, once you convert it you'll never go back.
Dittos
If you have the spare cash buy it before you do the floors. It'll go a lot smoother.

Danny
Old 09-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Lovin' The Cruzin'

Last photo:

re: Finally bought a mig!!!

I had to convince my wife into my getting the welder, so the extras will have to wait for now

I will just plug weld the floor in in the areas where the braces are, and the rest Will just be taking my time and doing short tacks. It will still be as good or better than the original factory welds!

I agree about the gas, but I'll learn fluxcore for now
Old 09-23-2006, 07:03 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

I may never understand why a guy gets married. You cant buy that mig welder. You cant park your motorcycle in the living room! You cant rebuild your engine in the kitchen! Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

I agree 100% buy the gas before you even touch your car with the welder. The gas is not expensive, you should already have the regulator and hose in your kit. You are looking at maybe $125 depending on the size of the bottle you go with. As mentioned above there really is no comparison between flux core and MIG. Not only looks but, easy of use and being able to actually see what you are doing. I welded for years with nothing but, flux core (big mistake) once I converted I was kicking myself for not changing earlier. I prefer argon/CO2 but, I know guys that just use CO2 anything is better that flux core.

Royce

PS Weirdbeard, not all marriges are that way. I just went out and bought a new mill, lathe, new Lincoln 255c welder, bought out an old machinists tools, etc.. all within the last 3 weeks. My wife didn't say a word about it. It depends on the situation and the relationship. I don't tell her what she can or can't do or buy and she doesn't tell me. We may "discuss" some things but, that's about it. She knew when she met me I was/am a gear head, she could have left then, LOL.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.