finally decided the direction to go - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

finally decided the direction to go

I picked up a 46 Plymouth Coupe and was trying to figure out the way to build it. I finally decided on a 350SBC with Ford 8 inch rear end. I believe this will make a nice little cruiser.
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Overdrive trans, air conditioning
Old 12-10-2012, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

Change your choice of engines to a MOPAR 318-360 or a Ford 302/5.0 and here is why, the SBC 's rear mounted oil filter will have clearance issues with the steering column making it a PIA running the exhaust also the rear mounted distributor interferes with the firewall.The Ford's C4 transmission is smaller than Turbo 350 which makes for a better fit,but if you really want the 350 Chev in there hope you can shape metal and weld and fabricate.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There are small cap distributors and remote mount filters, but I get your point.

I would use a MOPAR engine in it, personally. I'd have to recommend you go over to HAMB and do a search for 1947 plymouth engine swap, or something like that then look for MISSYSDAD's posts. He's the man when it comes to this, hands down.

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-10-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

Good advice about the HAMB,here is a discussion to check out: 46 Plymouth P15 ideas - Page 2 - THE H.A.M.B. As stated get a hold of the Tex Smith book mentioned,try Half.com: Textbooks , Books , Music , Movies , Games , Video Games sometimes bargains on used copies can be found there.There are plenty more discussions on the HAMB there,there are some vendors that make headers and intakes for that MOPAR six if you want something cool and different.MissysDad is a cool guy and is also a contributor to my Ford Group,the man has a head full of knowledge when it comes to rodding.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffB For This Useful Post:
cobalt327 (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Just when I think I know the direction LOL. There are very good info on why not to use Chevy. Now I need to rethink the build. As I said I just got it so have not even started to collect parts for it yet. Just seems I extended my planning stage.
I will do more research and check out H.A.M.B. I know there is a lot of info out there. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

One other thing you always need to consider in doing an engine swap is the location of the oil pan sump,if you presently have a front sump you should look for a donor engine that is front sump or rear with a rear.Not all engines have the option of swapping a pan with factory parts.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

Here is somebody that can make your life a little easier: Butch's Cool Stuff42-52 MOPAR A 318-360 Dodge truck has the rear sump oil pan you need,add this:http://www.motorworksengines.com/index.php?pr=360crate and have fun.Butch's can provide you with additional info you will need to know about your brakes because of the under car master cylinder location.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Your original post said you wanted a nice cruiser. Which to me suggests that you are not looking for something that is going to smoke everybody at the strip. That said I would suggest running the flathead. If you can find a mid 50's 230 flathead even better. Throw a Borg Warner R10 OD behind it or a T5 from an S10 and you can cruise at 70 all day especially if you go ahead and do the rear swap you mentioned.

You would then have a unique / reliable drivetrain that gets you where you want to go. And you will not be parked between two more just like it at the next show like you would be if you go with a belly button 350.

If you want the V8 then as has been suggested go to Butch's and get the mounts for the offset 360. Will run every bit as good as the 350 and again you will not see 100 of them at the next cruise.

I am on my second 48 Plymouth coupe, the first had a Mopar 383 / 727 and ran like a scalded cat. With the current car I went with the 230 flathead and OD transmission. It attracts a lot of attention among the sea of small blocks at the shows and cruises.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.