Hot Rod Forum banner

Finally decided on an engine build up!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Adrenaline_Fiend 
#1 ·
Well my buddy got a fixer up 70' nova with a 454 in it last weekend. This thing has no interior, no windshield, ragtag wiring and no seats, but a strong stock 454 with a muncie 4 speed. I couldn't help but suggest we throw some bucket seats sitting out in the yard into the nova and see what she had.:D He pulled it out onto a backroad and punched it, that baby had TORQUE! I had to hold onto the windshield frame to keep my seat from faling backwards! Well after experiencing that, I have decided to build a blown 454 for my 70' nova! That thing pulled harder than my warmed over tunnel ram 350, and it's even a one legger. I had been debating building a blown 383 (I have my heart set on a supercharger in case you can't tell), but after going for my first ride in a RAT powered chevy, I am convinced. I HAVE to have a big block. He dosn't really care if he has the 454 or not since he just wanted the car, so he might be willing to just trade me straight across for my 350 minus the tunnel ram. A couple of questions: 1. Are distributors interchangeable on Chevy small bocks and big blocks 2. Are starters interchangeable 3. Do all I have to do is change springs, as far as suspension goes. 4. Will the TH350 bolt up to a big block?

Well the last year has been great, I'm looking forward to another year of feeling like a newbie again, asking dumb questions for my big block build!

Last question: In a full trim 70 nova w/ electric fans, electric fuel pump, power steering, and electric water pump, and a 6-71 blower with moderate boost (not too much for stock internals), and 4.10's, how possible are 11's. Oh yeah and on pump gas?:thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
In the early seventies I had a C.O.P.O Nova SS, that I swapped in a open chamber 454, single 850 on a Tarantula intake, General Kinetics 312R cam, 2 1/8" Hooker headers and a 4.56 gear, It would run 11.70's all day long, drive it to the strip, drop the exhaust, bolt on the slicks and go for it. I'm sure a blown 454 can do much better. Yes a 454 will bolt to a 350 turbo but don't expect it to last long, and the distribs are the same, the front springs will set about 3/4" lower with the big block, I put six cylinder springs in mine for weight transfer and it set at almost the stock Big Block SS height. Starters will interchange but in the old days we used the Buick 455 starter and put the chevy nose piece on them (Cast Iron)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.