Finally a forum for me. Can anyone diagnose this problem?? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 08:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

ok here's what i did to mine, take your starter wier off(so starter won't turn over) leave the bendix wire hooked up.Have someone turn the switch to "start" and see where your starter gear is engauging, it's got to be a "happy medium" to far out and you'll brake teeth, to far in and you'll grind a pound or 2 trying to start it.That's what I did and mine works great.Like I said though you may have two many or two little shims you'll have to check engaugement and see exactly what's going on when the starter is trying to crank the engine. Hope this helps.

conoverbandit

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 06:53 AM

Indian I think I have said this many times before, but here it goes again. On Pontiac the vaccum advance points toward the drivers side head. Too many people try to set a Pontiac distributor like a Chevy and it won't work, you cannot set the timing accurately. After 17 years of owning my 71 GTO and various buildups I have learned what works and what doesn't and having owned various muscle cars over the years and working in automotive field for nearly 30 years I'm not going to lead someone the wrong way if I can help it, granted I do make mistakes as everyone does and has in their automotive endeavors but when advice is given and not followed then for some of us it's a waste of time, especially when the same thread keeps coming back for the same problem. Also conoverbandit Chevies have two different tooth counts on their flywheels and you have to know how many teeth are on the flywheel to get the right starter, that may be the reason you had to use to packs of shims on the starter, not the right starter for your flywheel, and most corner parts store computer jockies don't know this and will sell you anything that comes up on the screen, right or not.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:38 PM

This keeps getting better and better. Today i went over to where my car is and was going to reshim the starter. i hooked up my remote starter switch to the battery and starter. when i hit the remote starter switch the starter was rotating continuosly, it frightened me so i slid out from under the car and disconnected the remote starter switch from the battery.
Then i heard a whine come from the starter, so i unhooked the (+) battery terminal. I saw a little white smoke coming from the starter area. I looked at the wires going to the starter and the "purple wire was dry rotted and cracked in several places. Following the wire above the engine, i saw an area of exposed wire on the wire.
Then when i tapped the (+) terminal to the positive terminal post it caused a pretty good spark on what i thought was a really low battery. A good enough spark for the terminal to leave some metal welded to the post. I also found that the ground wire was staying hot on the altenator even with the ignition to the off position.
Can anyone think of what is causing this??

Last edited by Indian; 10-05-2003 at 02:43 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.