Finally.....i Got The 442 Painted......pics.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 01:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finally.....i Got The 442 Painted......pics....

I feel like I've been working on this thing forever I just painted it Friday, the clear is about 1 hour old. The pics aren't the greatest but I'll get better ones after I get all the trim, decals and pinstriping on it Talk about a long day.........it took me 8 hours to paint the metallic silver, mask off, paint black, unmask silver, and clear coat ( including inside of doors and door jambs). It really turned out SUPER It was fun but I'm always relieved when It's all done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-073S.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	10702   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-074S.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	10703   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-075S.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	10704   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-076S.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	10705  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Glad to hear things went well for you grape man. Thats usually how it seems to go, what you think you will get painted next week takes longer then what you planned. How did your two tone go? didn't get any spots where the black got under the tape did you? Did the omni cover okay, think thats what you said you were using. 8 hours isn't really too bad considering you were doing a two tone and had extra tapeing and spraying and the fact the base has to sit long enough to tape on. Painting can wear you out sometimes. I usually in relieved too when the they are painted and only have some buffing and installing parts left to do. Finally had some decent weather around here this weekend. I picked a used starter up at the junkyard and put it in my bonneville thats been sitting since last fall. Put the battery charger on it and just tried it and it turned over. Wasn't fun lying in mud changing and trying to jack the car up though. Now if I can get it to start this weekend, I can use it to try to pull my truck close enough to get it into the garage to work on. Thats been sitting broken down for a long time. Then probably try to get rid of the car. Man I am ready for spring.

Last edited by kenseth17; 03-11-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

I just had a tiny bit of black get on the silver where the door meets the front fender (nothing major). I still have a lot of work left, I have to put the door latches and locks back in, all the interior door panels, windshield trim, door trim, decals, etc.... I can't wait to take it outside where I can stand back and see it better. I should be able to buff it by next weekend, right? The onmi covered great, I had enough to give it 3 coats.It took longer than I thought because the guy wanted me to put in a new windshield and there was more body work than I seen in the pics he sent me when I first saw the car. It was BEAUTIFUL the day I painted (50 degrees outside temp), I had the wood furnace going with one window and one door open and it stayed 80 degrees in the shop the whole day. If you were closer to me I would drive by and help you with you truck Don't you just love trying to lift a vehicle on wet ground and the floor jack just goes down into the ground instead of lifting the vehicle
Old 03-11-2006, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Actually we use to buff the omni clear the next day, but I haven't used it since the mid 90's. I like to buff the next day myself, as long as it doesn't leave a fingerprint real easier. I just have an easier time getting my wetsanding scratches out this way. I haven't really noticed any dieback with urethane clears I have been buffing after like 16-24 hrs after painting was finished, and if it did happen to die back some, I think another run over with the buffer should take care of it. Plus its lot easier buffing and cleaning up without parts in the way, then after you are done with that install part is what I do.
Quote:
there was more body work than I seen in the pics he sent me when I first saw the car.
Boy do I know that one all too well. I will usually throw out a price based on information and pictures, but no way you can be accurate. Even looking over the vehicle well, there can be a ton of surprises getting into the job, and some people like to try to get extra work out of you without mentioning anything like how much more would that be to do, like you should just donate your time. Not everyone, but if you give in inch, yada yada. I haven't took any work for awhile now, and anything thats older I would want to take paint down before giving a price, or stop work and call If i found extra work.
Yeah, everything wanted to sink into the mud, and I had a wagon wheel spare on the side I was jacking. I had a real hard time getting the car high enough to put wood and a jackstand under. It turns over now, and been keeping the battery charger on it. I've finally got a few sputters last time I tried starting. Think having a battery although new, its been sitting along with old gas is giving me problems. I added some new gas to the little bit of old that was left in the tank, Hopefully she'll fire if I keep trying, or maybe tommorrow.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Grape she looks pretty good! Should look really good when the cut and buff is done. It looks like you shot the jambs and exterior all at the same time which always is a PITA to setup the masking for that. Nice job. Bob
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 PM
X711

Last photo:

Nice job Grape... Looking good !

post some more pics when cut and buffed.. thats a cool car ..

><
Old 03-12-2006, 04:45 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Guys My flow coat looks awesome, I think just a little buffing and I'll be good to go. I think I REALLY lucked out when I bought my gallon of clearcoat, I think they forgot to add orange peel to this gallon Painting the door jambs wasn't bad, the door itself I just opened for painting. The doors were both replaced so the paneling was already removed (didn't have to tape them off), then just covered the seats and dash with bedsheets. If your car is carburated kenseth, just do like I do, unhook the gas line before the fuel pump and have someone hit the key while you bottle feed good gas thru the carb (you can do this with efi also, just unhook the injector wire on the throttle body). Then you won't flood it with 40 gallons of stale gas and you will know if the gas is the problem I bought a truck once that a guy couldn't get running, when I tried to start it it would start but kill again. I couldn't find anything wrong while sitting in the seat and hitting the key cause when I got out it would kill again. I took a 1 quart oil bottle and filled it with gas, then found a real small hose about as big around as a pencil, set the gas bottle on the wiper leaning against the windshield and siphoned the gas from the bottle and let it run into the carb to keep it running so I could check things out. It turned out to be a crack in the gas hose right before the fuel pump so it was sucking air
Old 03-12-2006, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Its a fuel injected 3.8 grape. No problem, she started this morning, and got it pulled in the garage to put the exhaust manifold back on. Not bad for not being driven at all since fall, and only once in a while before that, took it off the road last summer I think. Too bad the front end and quite a few other things need replacing on that car, with the value on the car, not sure it would be worth it. I bought it for 700 bucks about 6 years ago and it has been pretty dang reliable. I fixed a lot of rust holes and after i painted I spun a bearing in the engine, so I had it machined and I put a engine kit in it. I seen the guy I bought it from two years ago and he was shocked it I still owned it and it was on the road. He said I always liked that car, I should have never sold it. I really want to get my truck going though and stick money into that. You don't realize how much you use a truck for picking up stuff, and I want to get a trailer too to pull with it in case I ever see a project I am interested in or if I have to pull a car to work on. The truck gave me more then enough problems though after I bought it. Now I know why the guy got rid of it sort of cheap. $900 for a 1989 f150 extended cab with 4x4, 5sp, and a 1992 302v8. Good luck on finishing up that Olds.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Looks great. Nice work!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

damn sweet where you getting the decals?

more pics. more pics. more pics. more pics. more pics.
more pics. more pics. more pics. more pics.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327amc
damn sweet where you getting the decals?

more pics. more pics. more pics. more pics.

I have the decal kit already, I got them from a dealer. Not from the actual dealer, I have a friend that works in parts at the Chevrolet dealer and he finds stuff for me I don't know if I'll get it all buffed and put together this week but I'll post more when I do.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
I have the decal kit already, I got them from a dealer. Not from the actual dealer, I have a friend that works in parts at the Chevrolet dealer and he finds stuff for me
you lucky dog. Tell your friend know
i need a set of mirrors for an 86' monte SS.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

Are those mirrors the same as the Cutlass or Regal? If they are I have an extra set from the doors that were taken off from this car. There in good shape if your interested. I think you can see the mirrors in one of my pics
Old 03-13-2006, 11:06 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

looks nice
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY GRAPE
Are those mirrors the same as the Cutlass or Regal? If they are I have an extra set from the doors that were taken off from this car. There in good shape if your interested. I think you can see the mirrors in one of my pics
hey thanks for the offer. but 83-85ss has those same mirrors that are on your 442.
then 86-88 they changed them to a different style. they are closer to the door, they dont have the "stem" that holds the mirror farther out from the door like the older style. a sweet site is laren engineering.com (i dont recall how to spell it.) but they have the late SS mirrors on there you can see if your curious.
thanks

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.