Finally made the West Coast National - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Without risk, failure happens

Last journal entry: Almost finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finally made the West Coast National

After 7 weeks of intense work (late nights and weekends) I got my 50 Chevy to the Goodguys West Coast Nationals! It's far from finished (still have to finish wiring, interior, paint, and the little details) but it sure was a blast pulling onto the grounds and seeing the response from people.
Can't wait to go home every night and drive it around scaring women and children!
Check out my gallery.

Decho

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The car is looking great. Love the checker board firewall. Got any pics of you painting it to put in your journal? So is this car yours now and not your son's?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

It's now my car. Unfortunately, my 16 year old son thought it wasn't worth the hard work. He thought all the "crap" jobs (sanding, grinding, cleaning, and yes, putting tools away!) was not to his level of skill. So he flew back to Connecticut after giving me the one finger salute. I was very sad at the outcome but when that fresh motor roar to life, the pain some how went away. But still, I wish my son could have been there at the show...

The firewalls was quite a challenge because it is diamond plated steel. So taping off over all the diamonds was very tedious. I think I got pics of the process, so I'll post those and the others once I sift through them.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

I got a father son project going on to, my son was all in to it tell he found out how much work it was to do a project. Now he did a carpet kit change the interior color But when it came to body work he Quickly lost interest. he still work on it. But he said it more that he wanted to do. Which I said OK I will do the body work not a problem. but you still need to finish the project. So I was happy he said hey dad its way to much for me. He is real happy with his truck, shows it to all his friends. He is not like me when I had my first car I worked on it 24-7 to get it ready for my last year of high School.
The important thing is he is learning what it take to do a project which is perfect. so do what you like to and the thinks you don't no shame it having someone else do it.

Sorry you had a falling out with your son but its the only they learn you have to start somewhere. And most offen it at the bottom and you work your way to the top.

Have fun with the ride.

Craig
Old 08-31-2006, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, Craig, it's great to hear from others in my shoes.
Like you, I too, was a 24/7 guy when it came to my car. Is this just a generational thing, or do the new gen of kids want everything and anything as long as it's easy? Do they lack passion for anything? Puzzling..
Hell, I worked on this car all through the night, even my wife gave up at 4:00 am, but I couldn't stop knowing the outcome. It was like the old days - very invigorating!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Awesome that you made the show Nothing like the rush you get, thrashing on your project in the final hours , getting it ready for it's debut. Making the deadline for a show is always a great accomplishment.

About 5 years ago I started working on my old high school car with my daughter, with the idea that she help build it back into running condition. It is a 69 mustang notchback. She started helping, and wasn't afraid of the work, but when she started cutting school, and running with lowlifes and lying about her whereabouts in the middle of the night, me getting called by the police to bring her home, I told her that I wasn't putting a ton of work into something that may wind up in a ditch. I gave her and her friends several chances to get straight, I invited her friends to come help too,, so my daughter could share her car building experience with her friends, like we had done as teenagers. I helped her friends with their cars too. I guess it wasn't what she wanted.

I am glad that I didn't give her my car. she is now 22 and has run one car into the ground by abusing it, and let her boyfriend crash her second car.

I gave my son the same deal,same car. He is more interested in playing football and studying physics. ( which is wayyy better than drinkin and druggin and being a lowlife) But he doesn't even have any inclination to get his drivers license. I wish he would. It would take some of the load off my wife and I. He loves to ride dirtbikes, and I told him I'd get him a streetbike if he would just get his license. I told him I'd give him my "old yeller" '72 pickup or even the lame-O Taurus SW to haul his football buddies around. I think he is scared of the responsibility. I don't push it, he is a great kid, self motivated and has a great set of morals.

Still, I don't get it.

When I was 15 1/2 ,to the exact day,I was waiting on the front steps of dmv to get my permit. I got my motorcycle permit the same day. I always felt it was my first real step into adulthood.
I guess kids don't feel the same way these days.

We'll see what happens with my 14 year old daughter.

I wished that I would have known that you,(decho), were going to pleasanton. I went on sunday .I would have liked to meet you. I got to hang out with martinsr for a bit. That was fun.
Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
I always felt it was my first real step into adulthood.
I am amazed at the way some kids are not jazzed about getting their licenses these days, I can think of 5 right off the top of my head. I think it's a dependence thing, being independent may scare them. Where in Gilroy are you, Mike? I thought of looking you up Fri when I went through town on my way back from Salinas on a job assignment, may be going that way again next week, a food safety audit for the USDA, the lettuce deal, food poisoning in Utah has the ranks concerned. Dan
Old 09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

That would be cool Dan, I would like to meet you. You can see my disaster.
I'm on chestnut street, right next to united rentals, and just south of all the car dealers. you can see the back of the shop from the 101 freeway. In my profile click on mikes homepage and you'll find my contact info

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for sharing your story of your teenager headaches. Crap, when I was a teen, I would have killed just to sit in a hot rod, let alone work on one. But times are a changin and I'm feeling older with every kid that passes by. I see how they look at me, "Freakin old guy with an old car"! I hang my head for their futures.....
Sorry we didn't meet at the Goodguys on Sunday but I'm there at every show with my 57. But now I'll be there with the 50 Chevy for a while. After many, many miles on the 57, I think now I'll spend a little time with her and give her some TLC. Hmmmm, now let's see, about that North Star and Morrison chassis combo.........

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.