finally solved my engine problem. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

finally solved my engine problem.

Well guys, ive had my car for a little over 6 months. Its only ran absolutely perfect, as it should, for just one day... my birthday which was a few days ago. How ironic is that? I cant figure this out to save my life, i didnt touch anything but the distributor, so im positive this is an ignition issue now. I removed the distributor, changed to new spark plugs and wires and checked a few other things. I did what i was supposed to do by putting the engine at top dead center and lining the oil key rotor up to point directly at number 1. For some reason the car just would not run. I got desperate and slowley turned the oil shaft just a little at a time to move the rotor to eventually get it to run. Finally the car started up, but the timing was very low.. only 28 degrees at 2500 rpm. It ran absoluley perfectly, but the engine sounded very strange. The idle was at around 750, but the car sounded strange, you couldnt hear the cam loping or anything. Very strange??

Anyway, i came home and removed the distributor so i could advance the timing a bit more. I had to turn the rotor because the distributor body couldnt move much further becuase of the firewall. Anyway after i advanced the timing to 36 degrees at 2500 rpm, the car started to run horrible again. I said oh well and just backed the timing backdown by turning the distribtur clockwise until the timing was back at 28 degrees at 2500 rpm. Im so confused.. why would my engine do this? Does turning the actual rotor make a difference between just turning the distributor? I thought that as long as the timing is the same using the timing light at the balancer, the timing is the same right? sorry im just very confused..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Try taking the dist. cap off and pulling no.1 plug. Turn the engine over with a
thumb over the plug hole while watching the rotor turn. Check to see if the
rotor is pointing at the no.1 terminal when the compression blows your thumb
off, or maybe between two terminals. I think this will show your problem.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I would verify TDC on the damper and tab are accurate. It sounds like a cam or (more likely) ignition timing problem. You should also check the rotor phasing.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.