finally time to put my indian back together - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2004, 05:08 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

finally time to put my indian back together

wasted a mountain of time powder coating my frame/forks/swing arm instead of painting it. dont ever do it to an old bike: too much old unremovable grease that ruins the finish. plus the debate is still out as to which is better. i would use urathane next time no question. just got my new primary chain and my frame should be back from it's second trip to the powder coater any time. time to put on the chain, reconnect the transmission to the engine. install the frame on the motor, put the forks (springer) back together, -actually getting the bushings pressed back in the forks here soon then i can add the swing arm and wheels. hopin it'll be done by summer. gotta million other parts to buy too, pipes, bars, seat, drive chain, electrical....maybe summer 2005!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 05:34 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Didn't someone buy Indian, and builds them now?

There is a dealership off of I30, I think it's an Indian dealer?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Way to go Bull, Can't wait to see pics of your Indian. Like your new avitar too.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:14 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

why tanks!

this new avatar pic is with the one pic of the bike when it was still together in the old photo album that i dont know how to tell you to get to. it's a 41 scout. as far as indian, i keep hearing someone has bought them, but havent heard for sure yet. still have a dealer right here in burlington. they have had several brands of choppers there as well. it's like going to a bike show. they have a killer resaraunt too !! the bikes start in the low to mid 20's and go all the way up to $65,000. they have one of those hot rod low profile 3 wheelers as well with two wheels in front. pretty cool place.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:03 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Re: finally time to put my indian back together

Quote:
Originally posted by bullheimer
too much old unremovable grease that ruins the finishthen

i can add the swing arm and wheels.
Indian Motorcycle stopped production in 1953. All remaining stock was purchased and there was an individual that would assemble a "new" bike from those parts to be sold. Later (early '70's) a Japanese company purchased the name and logo and manufactured a mini-bike sized motorcycle. Max was about 125cc. There is a new company using the Indian name, that is manufacturing a full size motorcycle. Cost is rather high and the first models used Harley engines until they were able to produce their own. They are (if still in business) in financial trouble due to the high production costs.

As to your statements: Sandblasting would have removed all the "unremoveable grease", or even putting the parts in a degreasing (hot) tank would have done the job.

The original Indian motorcycles did not have a "swingarm". They were either a rigid frame or had a "plunger" style rear suspension. Are you sure you have an Indian frame? They also had a "girder" front end rather than a "springer". Which side is the throttle on? Which side is the hand shifter on?

Post you photos again in the new album. I'd like to see the bike.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

Do you know Indian Dennis? He lives just south of you around Anderson ave. He has three Indian Chiefs, an inline four, at least one scout and does a lot of restoration work. My wife and I stop up at Conway Tavern just south of you and go to Hanagan flat track all the time. Drop a email with directions and we'll drop by sometime.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:25 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

yeah, pony i go to conway all the time. used to buy my fish across the street, but he's too uppity for me anymore. lets hook up next time it's sunny, i'll get your email or pm you but i almost never go online on the weekends cause i'm too busy. i dont know indian dennis or anyone else, other than the powder coater i use up in Bellingham/Ferndale has a collector there who owns a paving company that has a flock of indians as well. i only moved here 4 years ago from Reno.

as for my swing arm, Frisco, then it's not a swing arm. what ever you want to call that part of the frame that holds on the back tire. it wont swing cause it's a rigid frame but i cant remember it's name. how bout "back half of the frame???"

it's a 1941 scout. was only made in military form. it's not in now nor will it ever be military lookin again. got one khaki green vehicle already it came as 500 cc. mine has supposedly been bored out a quarter inch and ran when i got it. i got it from a tweaker who i went to grade school with and still keep in touch with even tho he has switched to needles and isnt much better than the ******* that used to live in my clear lake house i just beat up two nights ago and had busted. he had it for like ten years. he spent quite a bit on it over the years. he shot up all his rent money and i gave him $3000 for it about 2 years ago

i thought for sure the hot tank woulda got out all the grease but again, he says it didnt the first time so he had to scrape and scrape and put it back in. this after i spent hours sandblasting. i did it cause i found out Indian powder coated all their new bike frames. but i have read other rod builders who much prefer urathane paint. i am one of them now too. i just called the powder coater and he hasn't had another run of black yet so my frame is still up there waiting. thats okay. my primary chain is in the camaro covered with a mountain of shattered glass right now anyway, and my friend that was gonna make me a new engine to tranny bracket hasnt even started on it, so i guess it aint time yet after all

Last edited by bullheimer; 02-27-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Just had to pop this one back to the top. How's the Indian coming along? We want pics.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:23 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

Re: Re: finally time to put my indian back together

Quote:
Originally posted by Frisco
Indian Motorcycle stopped production in 1953. All remaining stock was purchased and there was an individual that would assemble a "new" bike from those parts to be sold. Later (early '70's) a Japanese company purchased the name and logo and manufactured a mini-bike sized motorcycle. Max was about 125cc. There is a new company using the Indian name, that is manufacturing a full size motorcycle. Cost is rather high and the first models used Harley engines until they were able to produce their own. They are (if still in business) in financial trouble due to the high production costs.

As to your statements: Sandblasting would have removed all the "unremoveable grease", or even putting the parts in a degreasing (hot) tank would have done the job.

The original Indian motorcycles did not have a "swingarm". They were either a rigid frame or had a "plunger" style rear suspension. Are you sure you have an Indian frame? They also had a "girder" front end rather than a "springer". Which side is the throttle on? Which side is the hand shifter on?

Post you photos again in the new album. I'd like to see the bike.

Yep, they are still in business, right off of 30. pretty nice bikes too.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.