Finaly a bad review on the Harbor Freight Purple Gun - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872
Doesnt really matter how much you spend on a spray gun
then quit whining, i hate the whining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Just trying to save someone else some grief. That's not whining. And you have nothing useful to add but a bunch of stupid wisecracks. Go crawl back under your rock. Done here.

Andy
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Andy, sorry you got your chops busted relentlessly. I've discovered most anything from Harbor Fright seemed to be not worth buying, even the heralded 10.00 purple gun that had the same issues as yours. I tried it as a primer gun, cleaned it, the knob melted, I threw it away and found an Iwata wtih 2.0 tip at a bargain tool store. it sprays primer great and I think I paid 30.00 for it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Dammit chip you always luck into stuff.

Ed will still be depressed you're not using a shop broom and PPG
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
Dammit chip you always luck into stuff.

Ed will still be depressed you're not using a shop broom and PPG
He won't be too let down, I have managed to screw up with SPI...once. I used the wrong activator. my broom finally gave up the ghost. I really like my Sata 3000 I nabbed at the pawn shop for less than half price in the sealed factory package.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
He won't be too let down, I have managed to screw up with SPI...once. I used the wrong activator. my broom finally gave up the ghost. I really like my Sata 3000 I nabbed at the pawn shop for less than half price in the sealed factory package.
I bought 3 nice Iwatas (LPH80, LPH200, LPH300) for under $100 each on ebay a few years ago. Back then I could find LPH200's all the time for $70-$80. Seems like some wholesaler of used paint shop tools was just selling them off like crazy. They were ALWAYS on there. Now it seems like the prices are higher. I still use the 200 for clear. Works great!

I figured I could get away with a cheap gun for color since it's not the finish the customer sees anyways. But what a pain these are to clean and the fan adjust knob melting... that did it for me on these things. Come on... use a metal knob. But... I guess for $10...

I definitely wouldn't buy another.

And I should add, the Walmart Campbell Hausfeld (just looked at it again since posting) is basically the same gun except with a one piece nozzle instead of the two pieces that the HF purple gun has. I was thinking of picking one up again (owned one several years back) just to see. But I quickly put it back on the shelf. I'd bet it has the same Chromed plastic fan adjust knob.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872
Amen Brother! And thanks for this write up. I bought one and did not take it apart first. On about the 5th use, the silicone inside broke loose and mixed with my topcoat paint!!! Ruined 3 panels that I had to sand down, reprime and reblock!!! I would have easily paid $100 not to have had that happen, cost me alot of extra work.

NOW, I have soaked and completely cleaned out a second purple gun I bought, used it for topcoats this morning and have no problems with it. It does what its supposed to do which is coat a panel with paint which will then be sanded out and buffed. Im sure a more expensive gun, or a better painter could lay the paint down alot smoother.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS SILICONE ISSUE WITH THESE GUNS !!

THIS SHOULD BE STICKIED. IT WILL SAVE SOMEONE ELSE ALOT OF

Andy
I have that gun. Mine came with a piece of paper warning of the gun being filled with oil and the need to take it apart and clean it.

I have used it multiple times with no problems.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:33 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I liked the HF purple gun when it had the option of getting it with a huge 2.0 tip. I loved it as a primer gun but not sure I'd spray a clear or metallic with it with any tip they offer. Kind of bummed when they stopped selling them with big tips. Anyone remember that gun with a 2.0 tip? Best primer gun ever cause if you didn't clean it good who cares?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

we just got one today for a specific job. The thing was horrible. Caulking to seal the nozzle? Man, why not use bubble gum? I ran a bunch of gun cleaner solvent in it til it stopped pissing yellow solvent out of it but didn't have enough time to clean out the silicone crap or whatever it is they use to seal the nozzle. For $10 I can't really complain but that was a LAME idea to use caulking to seal the nozzle. I'd expect better, even for $10. Not sure whether to try to clean it all out or just leave it, but it's certainly a RISK leaving it in there.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

I really think the 10.oo gun is to be used once and pitched.. so the thinner killing the rtv and it ending on a panel is a moot point.. I bought one and it's great for painting walls.. clean with water.. if I was going for a cheap auto paint it be the big money 25 buck on sale h/f gun.. the 10 buck gun is a one and done.. if you use it for auto paint..
Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I don't throw stuff away if there's something that can be done to remedy the situation. I will clean out the crap seal if I have to before throwing it away. Just hope it seals. Geez, they have plumbers tape in that store, why didn't they use that?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM

Harbor freight is additive, I buy stuff there all the time mostly junk..The black impact sockets are rugged.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I don't throw stuff away if there's something that can be done to remedy the situation. I will clean out the crap seal if I have to before throwing it away. Just hope it seals. Geez, they have plumbers tape in that store, why didn't they use that?

I'd not pitch it.. but I'm thinking that's what it's marketed for.. one job then deep 6..

starting a thread cry'n over a 10.oo gun is comical at best. and honestly sad.. commonsense tells ya that it's not built to last.. well I guess you need to have C.S.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

There is actually a 20 minute video on you-tube showing how to make the purple gun work.This could have been shown in 2 minutes,but the guy seems to think everything needs to be demonstrated in detail. I am going to pick up a couple on sale(they are always on sale) and play with them. I am not a professional,if I were I certainly wouldn't be buying a gun at HF.Theres a reason they can sell them for $9.95.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

if your looking for a primer gun look at a vapor 2.3 . shoots slicksand or gelcoat . 39 dollars . i figured if it did one job it was ok . it's several years old now and still works fine . not an air hog like the purple gun .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.