Find my options for supercharging? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Find my options for supercharging?

I have a 500cid '74 Cadillac. I am very confused on supercharging. All I can find is info on new cars. How do I find kit/part infomation to meet my needs.
I know I can get a Intake manifold adapter. 429/460 Ford to Cadillac. It bolts to Cadillac cylinder heads. It also covers the intake valley. It will let you adapt your choice of performance intake manifold from the 429 & 460 Ford.
Ok, so can someone point me from here?
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2003, 04:05 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lightbulb

howziit guy!

here's my opinion:

FIRSTLY, take all yer measurements: hood clearance/radiator to engine measurements, distributor, etc.

next, do research on the superchargers you have in mind, roots-type and centrifugal. surf onto www.holley.com
find the measurements of the WEIAND/B&M 174-177 series, and the 6-71/8-71 superchargers. don't forget to add the ford intake adaptors into consideration. longer blower belts may be necessary, because of the spacers.

since the distributor on cadillac engines may be at a different angle, ya have to measure for that.

the cadillac water pump may interfere with the elliptical path of the supercharger belt. unsure if different size/length water pumps are available. if ya change to a shorter pump, ya might have to fab shorter brackets for your alternator and power steering units.

with a 3" wide blower belt, you'll be losing between 2"-3" clearance, between radiator, supercharger belt and crank pulley.

unsure if your radiator would be able to handle the extra heat generator. at least a recore of the OEM radiator is in order.

of course, there is no room available, for the mechanical fan. you'll have to decide how many cfms you'll expect, from yer electrical fan(s). there's the mounting of the fans AND fabrication of a custom fanshroud. if you're VERY lucky, and have maybe 6" radiator clearance, an OEM LINCOLN MARK VII fan and shroud would be the cheapest assembly to utilize.

if radiator clearance is 2.5" or less, you may have to move the radiator forward, or find some powerful pusher-type electric fans, which can be mounted ahead of the radiator.

i recommend SPAL fans, at least one 16" pull fan, with shroud.

on my 6-71 blower install, i'm using a 16"SPAL 2360cfm fan, and one 9"ZIRGO 1400cfm fan. if not powerful enough, i'll try two 14"ZIRGO fans, a total of 5340cfm. that should cool ANYTHING!

having a skilled sheetmetal worker fab a custom fan shroud will be expensive, especially if he has to start from scratch. i've heard of one guy pay over $1500 for a custom shroud. when his fan self-destructed, his shroud took a licking.

by the time i finish my custom CHEAP aluminum fanshroud, it should cost me about...$25.00

get the FORD intake adaptors, then buy 6-71/8-71 SUPERCHARGER kit from any of the popular blower companies. then you'll have to drill and space out the accessory pulley to your cad pulley. a certain amount of fabrication is involved, to facilitate the install.

ORRRRRRRRRRR surf the net, contact the cadillac hotrodder site. i'm pretty sure someone has asked them this question before. they might have more information. ask them about roots-style and centrifugal supercharger installs.

i'm pretty sure the centrifugal setup would be easier to fab/install. maybe a basic kit for a big-block chevy, then a master fabricator can create the correct mounting brackets for ya. you could either use the EDELBROCK PERFORMER intake(no ford spacer), or a single-plane EDELBROCK VICTOR,JR(with spacer).

ya probably WILL have hood clearance problems with the centrifugal supercharger. how much taller would depend on the height of the blower "hat" and the height of whatever intake you use. you might even get by, with using the OEM CADILLAC intake.

i'd also contact DON HAMPTON, of HAMPTON SUPERCHARGERS. from what i've heard, he could probably mount a blower on anything! he also makes one of the BEST superchargers(costly). if ya want it cheaper, perhaps he can assemble a kit for you, using a cheaper WEIAND supercharger housing.

don't forget to build the rest of the engine. you'll probably need headers, since the supercharger will be pushing more of a charge into the engine.

8:1 forged pistons would be nice too.
good luck! and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by 5-7heaven; 09-16-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.