Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Finding a good machine shop? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/finding-good-machine-shop-81217.html)

jtybt 02-09-2006 03:08 AM

Finding a good machine shop?

Newbie here,
I'm looking for a good machine shop. My regular shop is 3 months back logged.I live in the east bay of the San Francisco Bay area.

I just finished tearing down a 400 sbc 509 2 bolt. I haven't done all the measurements yet but it has been bored .030 over. I have a set .030 (4.155") pistons so I'd like to save the bore size. #5 rod brn spun and #1&2 main probably spun. Also need it decked.

Anybody know of a shop close by for me?

Thanks,
Charlie

k-star 02-09-2006 06:36 AM

shop

As a word of caution if you step into a machine shop that can do the job "right now" be careful...... Most shops run 2 or 3 weeks all the time... I am about a month 6 weeks behind right now....

Ask some car guys in your area who they use,, or maybe some local garages...

Keith

machine shop tom 02-09-2006 10:05 AM

I know there is a guy in York, PA who does good work. Might be a little too far away for you, though.

tom

johnsongrass1 02-09-2006 10:33 AM

All I need is a final hone and a balance. I don't know why this shop freaked out when I brought them a block with a rough bore. I had the block machined sixth months ago by someone else. It was decked to 9.005 because they won't go .000, aligned honed, rough bored .030, lifters bores were indexed, baked and shot peened. I decided on a 383 and the shop that originally did the work refuses to use the part's I want to use. They say that combination won't last two years. I say I don't care, they say we do! They tell me to go get more money and come back with $2500 min. I said, I'm leaving but I'm not coming back. A shop has to work within the means of your budget. I don't need a forged crank and JE pistons. Or H-beam rods.

Well, I take such block to a different shop and they say it'll be a few days. I call them in three, still not done, I call in three more, they don't know where my part's are, they lost $1800 dollars worth or rotating parts! instead of telling me that, they hide it from me and tell me the guy working on it isn't in the shop at the moment. I heard them in the back ground say no one has seen it for a few days!! I waited three more and called them back and they say it'll be next week.

My point to this rant here is...I guess I don't have one! haha I hate the shops around here. Really. They do good work. I always check it myself and it's alway true and square. But why do they have such serious lack of customer service?

k-star 02-09-2006 10:34 AM

shop

Hey brother your closer......L.O.L.

Keith

jtybt 02-09-2006 01:09 PM

Thanks guys,
I'm looking for recommendations for experienced shops that know what they're doing.

I'm going to need a shop close by 'cuz I'll be bringing the block back and forth a few times. Basically I'll be transfering the rotating assembly from my present block to the 'new ' block and I'll be assembling things myself.

Charlie