Finding a good machine shop? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 02:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Finding a good machine shop?

Newbie here,
I'm looking for a good machine shop. My regular shop is 3 months back logged.I live in the east bay of the San Francisco Bay area.

I just finished tearing down a 400 sbc 509 2 bolt. I haven't done all the measurements yet but it has been bored .030 over. I have a set .030 (4.155") pistons so I'd like to save the bore size. #5 rod brn spun and #1&2 main probably spun. Also need it decked.

Anybody know of a shop close by for me?

Thanks,
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 05:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

shop

As a word of caution if you step into a machine shop that can do the job "right now" be careful...... Most shops run 2 or 3 weeks all the time... I am about a month 6 weeks behind right now....

Ask some car guys in your area who they use,, or maybe some local garages...

Keith
Old 02-09-2006, 09:05 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I know there is a guy in York, PA who does good work. Might be a little too far away for you, though.

tom
Old 02-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

All I need is a final hone and a balance. I don't know why this shop freaked out when I brought them a block with a rough bore. I had the block machined sixth months ago by someone else. It was decked to 9.005 because they won't go .000, aligned honed, rough bored .030, lifters bores were indexed, baked and shot peened. I decided on a 383 and the shop that originally did the work refuses to use the part's I want to use. They say that combination won't last two years. I say I don't care, they say we do! They tell me to go get more money and come back with $2500 min. I said, I'm leaving but I'm not coming back. A shop has to work within the means of your budget. I don't need a forged crank and JE pistons. Or H-beam rods.

Well, I take such block to a different shop and they say it'll be a few days. I call them in three, still not done, I call in three more, they don't know where my part's are, they lost $1800 dollars worth or rotating parts! instead of telling me that, they hide it from me and tell me the guy working on it isn't in the shop at the moment. I heard them in the back ground say no one has seen it for a few days!! I waited three more and called them back and they say it'll be next week.

My point to this rant here is...I guess I don't have one! haha I hate the shops around here. Really. They do good work. I always check it myself and it's alway true and square. But why do they have such serious lack of customer service?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

shop

Hey brother your closer......L.O.L.

Keith
Old 02-09-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks guys,
I'm looking for recommendations for experienced shops that know what they're doing.

I'm going to need a shop close by 'cuz I'll be bringing the block back and forth a few times. Basically I'll be transfering the rotating assembly from my present block to the 'new ' block and I'll be assembling things myself.

Charlie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.