finding project cars - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 07:30 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

HEY WAN:
I live in Noblesville, just North of Indianapolis. There are a lot of cars advertised in the local Auto Trader which you can pick up at any location. In that mag there is a section for classic and antique autos. I just advertised a 1948 Chevy pickup for sale in there and had calls from all over the midwest. Also there is a swap meet at the Indiana State Fair Grounds in Indianapolis on Sunday 11-28-04 and there are people there advertising cars for sale in their booths. You can join the Indiana Street Rod Assn. for $20.00 and they publish a monthly newsletter that has cars for sale. If I can be of any assistance to welcome you to Indy area just give me a shout......DAVE

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 09:06 AM

Hey! Thanks

thanks a lot for the heads up on the swap meet! I will try to make that for sure!

Noblesville isn't that far from me, I am in Avon. Hey I got a question for you since you are so close to my location. Back in (I guess) August or September, there was a big car show out on a private property, it had about 400 or so cars there. My son and I found it at about 4:30 and it was over at 5. Do you know anything about it? does it sound familar? It was in my county just outside of Avon. I am thinking it was an annual get together But I can't remember the exact date to watch out for it for next year.

Also I will keep an eye out for the local auto trader as well. Back home in Texas the auto trader was pretty useless unless you got a copy the first day it was out on the racks, I am guessing it is the same way up here. Do you know what day of the month it comes out up here?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

Glad to see another Hoosier ( even a new Hoosier) on the board. I live about 20 miles north of you near Lebanon. Look in the gas stations and diners for the weekly magazine version of this. http://www.auto-rv.com/ This is a great way to buy and sell and most vehicles are in Indiana or neighboring states. It is released every Friday in Indy but comes out on Thursday in Lebanon. If you can't find one let me know by PMing me and I'll help you locate one. One issue is for cars and trucks, another is for farm,industrial,bikes,sleds and RV sales. Oh,by the way they are free.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 AM

Thank you!

When you say diners, do you mean like that Bob Evans chain or smaller type diners? As you can probably imagine, I am not very familar with things around these parts yet. Only been here less than six months. Basically know my way to and from work and to the RCA Dome. (only because it is on the way to work)

I went to the link you provided already, and bookemarked it, just haven't explored it yet. But I am guessing they will have a distribution list somewhere on the site.

Hopefully by next summer I will have a new project, at least that is what I am hoping. But chances are it is going to have to be a ride for my daughter, she is going to be driving next year and instead of wanting a new "hip hop" car or ricer, she actually wants to restore something for herself, so I may have to put my wants on hold and build her a car. Not all that bad I guess.

There seems to be a few "hoosiers" on this site, and I know on the warmer days, I would see all kinds of "kustoms" and rods, So I am guessing there are quite a few clubs in the area. Which ones are the better ones? Also I am guessing you actually need to have a ride before joining as well.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:19 PM

Thumbs up Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone

thanks again to everyone that has replied to this thread. since today has been slow for me at work, I have had ALL day to browse the sites and suggestions everyone has given me here.

I knew this web site was going to be "evil" ( I mean this in a fun way).

In fact from one of the sites suggested, I have possibly found an alternative to my first three choices of vehicles. The car that has caught my eye is a '54 Hudson. As I am sure all you car buffs are aware, it is similar to my beloved mercury's. the price is right for me as a project car and it is close by. Best of all, the wife has already seen photos of it, and she likes it as well.

My only concern now is 1) (obviously) is it still available– I need to call on it tonight when I get home from work 2) being a Hudson, I am fairly certain that parts for it are going to be harder to find than say parts from the "big three" manufacturers would be. Should this be a major concern for a newbie rodder? Or do you think this maybe a too overwhelming undertaking for someone with limited rodding experience?
Old 11-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabnewbie
Sorry for my vagueness, when I started this "quest" I was thinking of finding a '68 ford thurnderbird, like the one my mom had when I was a kid so my search started on ford sites such as thurnderbird ranch, and carlynx.
There's some 1960s t-birds in a salvage yard near my house (Cutlerville, suburb on the south side of GR) and one in Byron Center, Michigan. BC is on the south side of Grand Rapids outside of the suburbs a little ways. That one is a black 2-door, I think more early '60s, body seems good for a Michigan car; prolly not driven in the snow. They're not too far from Indy, which is good for you. PM me and I'll get pics and adresses of what ya want.

The guidance is here, for brakes, suspension, trannys, engines, and even the "man house" (garage). There is also a lounge where people BS each other and it's like a bar. You go, hang out, kill some time and learn useless info on in the lounge.
-matt
Old 11-12-2004, 05:34 AM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Wan,

All the folks have their favorites. All of the sudden they will see something else and go for it. Get some digital pics of the Hudson and start a journal. We can all see your project take off.

As for fiberglass, this has been discussed many times on the board. Conduct a search of the body exterior and general rodding tech forums. Yes, depending on the manufacturer the cost of fiberglass bodies can be high. I think for $18,000, that will come with the body and a chassis. Some of the more talked about companies are Gibbons, Outlaw, Downs, Redneck. There are many companies springing up around the coutry.

Its great to have a dream. Its even better to accomplish and make it.

On the side note, what better way can you learn your new State than to drive around looking for a project.

Dutch
Old 11-12-2004, 08:57 AM

Dutchman, your post makes so much sense to me, about the journal, the cost of fiberglass and especially about getting out and exploring. I think I mentioned it earlier, but my wife and I used to always do that back in Texas where we are from, so I understand all the benefits that type of searching offers.

That price I found on the "Glass" Willy's was from Outlaw which I have heard good things about. But I didn't know like with some other things if you were paying for the brand name or if that was basically a standard price tag.

On the Hudson, the excitement has already worn off. I like the front of the Hudson's and I think it would still make a great kustom. But the one I found here in Indiana, the owners have not returned my phone call as of yet, so it may not be available any longer. I will try again over the weekend, but if its not, I'll just move on, and add the Hudson to my list of possibles.

Off topic here, but I always like to make it a point when I am on a forum or board such as this (I frequent a bunch of offroad forums as well) and I run across one of our country"s servicemen. I always like to personally thank them for what they are doing in regards to their military duties. I noticed you sited your location as being on a navy ship, so let me use this time also to thank you for what you are doing for all of us back here in the states. God speed home to you! Keep up the good work, but return home safe. Thanks again– Bear AKA: wannabnewbie
Old 11-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Old Salt

Last photo:

Wan,

I am biased when talking about Outlaw. I have a 34 Chevy Victoria in production. There have been 3 to 4 Willys on the cover of or in Street Rodder mag this year from Outlaw. The price is basic with the chassis and body fitted together. At one time, Outlaw was backed up on orders for their Willys about a year, theres that much demand for their Willys product. Barb Davidson is great to work with, even when conducting business overseas.

You can PM Vince, I think its 302/Z28. He bought a Gibbons 34 and could tell you about the fun hes been having.

I hope to be stateside next spring. Been homeported out of Sasebo, Japan. Residing on govt owned floating island off the wonderful coast of Iraq.

Dutch

Last edited by Dutchman; 11-12-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:39 AM

Well thanks again for all the great info, but with a new house (haven't even made the first payment–been in it two weeks) and three kids, I think the $18k intial cost is out of my price league right now. Maybe when the last kid is out of the house I can think about something that ambitious but right now, I just want to start cutting my teeth so to speak.

the Hudson I saw (just can't get ahold of the owner) was priced at $2k, that would allow me to purchase, tinker and buy when I could, instead of dropping "the farm" all at the beginning phases.

Right now I am trying to get a solid axle on my truck and the wife is doing her best in keeping me steered in the "right direction" so even the Hudson may have to wait. She just 86'ed a big screen tv for the new house.LOL
Old 11-12-2004, 06:10 PM

if your looking for a car to hot rod i would check junk yards around you frequently. Also i would look on ebay if you dont mid traveling but you can look in ad magazines such as auto trader

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.