Finish 1 FC720 clear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Sure it will fit

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finish 1 FC720 clear

Has anyone ever used this clearcoat ? Ive just sprayed some and no matter what i tryed it wouldn't lay on worth a dam. I used the FH612 hardener for 70-90 F temp and spray psi between 10 and 40 to see what psi worked best and none did. The best part of the whole thing was when in a tight spot i had to spray about 3" from the fender with a few runs. Yes i followed the tec sheet to the t and used a 1.3 tip. The clear just would not smooth out, what was i doing wrong?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM

I just got done spraying some Finish 1 clear coat today, and it doesn't work very good at all with me either. Even my LPH 400 can't atomize this clear worth anything... it just orange peels like crazy.

Anyways, there is a solution to this. Wait for the clear coat to cure, sand it down with 600 to 1500 grit sandpaper. Sand it like your going to buff it, but shoot another coat on it, and it should lay on smooth as glass. Yes, I'm not so sure it's the quickest or best way to get a very good mirror finish, but it works for me.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Sure it will fit

Last photo:

Yea i did that to. 4 coats later still had to sand with 400 and still burnt through. Ill never use it again though. I just wetsanded up to 1500 and buffed and ill leave it at that till next year and start over, new paint and all.Im to the point i dont even care,too much time and effort wasted.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Last journal entry: Hood
Last photo:

We use this clean in our shop and on a job I sprayed I got crazy solvent pop. It was my first time spraying the clear and I sprayed like I have sprayed clear before. I also spray for a lph400 but with a 1.4 tip. Long story short I was laying coats on to thick. But our head painter uses it a lot and he clears with really high pressure, real close to panel and moves real quick and he uses a lph400 with a 1.3 and it lays out really great for him. Guess you just need to learn it.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Sure it will fit

Last photo:

Ive been reading alot about DC5335 Glamour clear . Who makes it and where to buy. Id like to give this a shot sometime. Anyone used this clear befor and what are your thoughts on it ?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM

I use this stuff all the time and never ran into any problems except since it is thinner then most other clears it can run a lot easier. But then again cutting and buffing this clear is a huge pain.

I mainly use a Sata Jet 3000 and its worked fine for me. I have an LPH-400 that also worked good for spraying it. Now the thing I like about this clear coat is that every time I have sprayed it, it hardly has any orange peel to it. The key to spraying it is just watch your gloss and hit those flash times just right.

I use 4 different clears at my work all the time

FC720 - I like the way it looks and its fast
MC270 - Slower flash time but your able to get thicker coats on without running it
DC3000/4000 (depending on if I need it done quick or not) - For higher end jobs.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 AM

finish -one fc710 720

well to all the first time sprayers this clear has a very good shine to almost mirror finish reduce the clear by say 10% wait till its tackie and repeat 2 to 3 coats ,the buffing this clear should be no prob i wet sand and buff everything, ive found this clear to right up there with some of the best i spay this clear over water borne and solvent bases no prob
Old 11-07-2010, 10:32 AM

wet sand hummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtoad454
Yea i did that to. 4 coats later still had to sand with 400 and still burnt through. Ill never use it again though. I just wetsanded up to 1500 and buffed and ill leave it at that till next year and start over, new paint and all.Im to the point i dont even care,too much time and effort wasted.
sir dry sand with 1200 on da then wet sand with 3000 then buff its that easy been working for me for 10 years
Old 11-30-2010, 08:59 PM

I've sprayed several gallons of the Finish 1 clears and have no complaints. Did the front end of my in-laws PT Cruiser and over a year later it died back minimally and holds up to chips quite well. Even sprayed some this morning. Don't have much of a problem with it laying down.... nothing that nibbing with 1000 grit and a light overall with a soft pad and 1500 grit can't handle. After that it looks like factory (on collision work that is).
Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
406C-10

Last photo:

I did spray Omni MC161, but then my paint guy wanted me to try Shop Line JC630. never could get the orange pill out of the MC161, but the Shop Line JC630 layed down with very little orange pill. Here is some pics. I also use the purple gun from Harbor Freight to spray my clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00038.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	50496   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNC00036.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	50497  
Old 12-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

finish 1 FC720 clear

My first time posting on this forum. Just found it yesterday. I have sprayed a good many cheaper clears oer the last few years and i believe i like the finish 1 better than any. I have probably sprayed 20 to 25 gallons of it so far. I have a carlot and spray all my lot cars that have damage with it. What i like the most is how clear it is and harldy ever needs to be buffed. I spray with a sharp T1 titanium compliant gun with 45 to 50 psi. Hardly ever any dry spots or soak up next day like the other cheaper clears.
I also have had good luck out of limco clear coat with about 15 to 20 percent reducer and it lays out smooth just like the finish 1.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.