Finish Line paint guns - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 PM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finish Line paint guns

Has anyone out there purchased one of the Finish Line paint gun kits like Eastwood sells? I'm talking about the kit that has a primer gun and a finish gun with an extra tip and a clean up kit included.
I'm curious about how well they work and if the finish gun will shoot clearcoat without a lot of problems like orange peel.
I have a couple of decent paint guns now, but they are both pressure feed type and I want to try moving up to a decent hvlp gun. I would like to have a high quality gun, but it would just hang on the wall most of the time and I can't see paying a lot of money for one when I may only use it once or twice a year.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
68firebird

Last photo:

I'm sure more people will respond to this one but make sure you have a compressor that can supply a hvlp gun. I use all sharpe guns but the devilbiss guns are very quality guns that if you take the time to set up the gun correctly to the conditions you will get a quality paint job. I personally don't think you can go wrong for the price... they may even be cheaper at spraygundepot.com
Old 01-03-2009, 12:59 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Recently we purchased a Kremlen Basik HVLP gun for finishing woodworking projects at work.

It not only sprays much better than cheaper guns but it is easier to clean to keep it spraying well.

Spend a few more dollars and get a not made in China gun.. It is worth it.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Not sure which gun Eastwood is selling with their Finishline kit. If the main gun is a FLlll, that's a reasonably good one, but not top notch in that it really doesn't have super control over the paint product. I have a FLlll with all of the tips that I use for primers and occasionally BC/CC when I'm too lazy to clean 2 guns(an Iwata) on a small area. I resist buying from Eastwood when there are better (read cheaper) available and better descriptions of what is being sold - regardless of the fact the hot rod rags seem to support their products (are they 'donations'?)

Dave W
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 AM

I use a Finishline III for priming and a Plus for BC/CC or SS. The finishline is a very good gun for itr's price. Depending on what your painting, (size of project), make sure you have enough compressor (like with any gun).
Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

The Finish Line 3 kit I bought only has one gun...but 4 tips, ranging from 1.3 to 2.2 so it allows for shooting almost everything from poly primer to clears. I am far from a being labled a "painter" and I'm only comparing this gun to my Harbor Freight purple gun and my old siphon feed guns (not HVLP)...and with very limited experience to boot. If anything, this should be considered a review for "use by a novice" or inexperienced painter.

I think the best review I can provide is to show you the frame I recently shot in BC/CC with the FL-3. The BC went down very well and the clear had some orange peel but I'm convinced most of that was due to my lack of experience in setting up the gun rather than the fun itself. Nothing that couldn't be color sanded out.

As most of the real experts on here will tell you, buy the best gun you can possibly afford. The FL3 was a big step up for me...but obviously not the top of the line. I'm very satisfied so far and particularly like the ability to experiment with different sized tips to get the best flow out.

The first shot is of frame detail with just the base coat laid down.

The next two shots are of the orange peel in the clear coat.

And these last three were taken after color sanding and buffing.

There are more pictures of the painting details in my journal starting here.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 PM

The frame looks great! The FL3 is a good gun for the money. If you don't mind cleaning it a lot, you can use it for everything from primer/sealer, BC/CC and SS paint. The Plus gun lays out the BC/CC and SS paint very smooth. It also takes practice with any gun. If your on a budget, the FL3 will do the job. Autobodystore dot com has great prices and Len has an A+ forum. The new Blue line Devilbiss FL3 is waterborne paint ready.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

a lot of work there cboy, nice job.

chas
Old 01-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Last photo:

Looks pretty good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
The Finish Line 3 kit I bought only has one gun...but 4 tips, ranging from 1.3 to 2.2 so it allows for shooting almost everything from poly primer to clears. I am far from a being labled a "painter" and I'm only comparing this gun to my Harbor Freight purple gun and my old siphon feed guns (not HVLP)...and with very limited experience to boot. If anything, this should be considered a review for "use by a novice" or inexperienced painter.

I think the best review I can provide is to show you the frame I recently shot in BC/CC with the FL-3. The BC went down very well and the clear had some orange peel but I'm convinced most of that was due to my lack of experience in setting up the gun rather than the fun itself. Nothing that couldn't be color sanded out.

As most of the real experts on here will tell you, buy the best gun you can possibly afford. The FL3 was a big step up for me...but obviously not the top of the line. I'm very satisfied so far and particularly like the ability to experiment with different sized tips to get the best flow out.

The first shot is of frame detail with just the base coat laid down.

The next two shots are of the orange peel in the clear coat.

And these last three were taken after color sanding and buffing.

There are more pictures of the painting details in my journal starting here.
Thank's Cboy. That's the kind of response that I was looking for. If you're not an expert, then you're way up there on the high scale of amateurs. You do some really good work.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41'srfun
...If you're not an expert, then you're way up there on the high scale of amateurs. You do some really good work.
Thanks, but I'm definitely on the low scale of amateurs. But I DO follow the advice of a lot of good painters here on HR.Com and as Brian (MartinSr) says, anyone can produce a decent paint job if they TAKE THE TIME to do it right. My deep hidden secret is I'm retired...so I have lots of time, and I've taken a lot of time to try to do this painting and paint prep as well as I can. The real test will come when I shoot the body a few weeks from now.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

I would hope there was no peel on a frame. very little surface.how about a large flatt hood.thats the true test for a gun.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.