Finish Tuning - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You guys are great! Funny thing?? Went out last Friday for the first cruise down to the local gearhead spot, really started runnig progressively worse. Got it home and won't even idle. The PV problem was there but it seems that I developed a vacuum leak somewhere. So... tonight just said the hell with it! On the way home from work stopped and bought a 4.5 to replace the 6.5 on a guess (because I don't have a vacuum meter) and a new set of plugs. Came home and changed the PV in like 15min flat, easy as hell! Cahnged the plugs, checked everything that could be leaking vacuum (couple thing kinda loose), started it up and found my idle. Yeah!! Still doesn't seam as strong as I would hope for so printed the manual for the carb from holley.com rechecked the bowl levels and started on the idle mixture. HMMM?? this was fun (without the gauge) it said adjust til you have maximum RPM...Hmmm?? That a ****! Damn cam! Engine shaking and I really didn't hear all that much of an increase. A matter of fact I had to open them up about 7/8 more than the factory setting. 1-7/8 total out. Tomorrow driving it in to work, stopping by a local shop to get a vacuum reading, get the correct PV (vacuum @ idle divided by 2) and dial it in the rest of the way. Tell you one thing, need more power!!! no ****! Just sold an 02 WS6 w/ cam intake TB and MAF work done and it would walk this thing. Look up guys... what kind of gains would I get from stock 882 heads to the 2.02 humps?? 50hp? be worth the 100 bucks and a days work switchen em. Humps only have a few miles on them.
Thanks again
Steve

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

If you have the double humps already then yeah they're probably worth it. The compression will be significantly higher with the 64 cc chambers. Several years ago I had a similar engine to yours with 882 heads. Kinda like yours the cam was a bit too big. I changed to doublehumps and it matched better with the cam. It was definitely better. A few years after that I switched to dart heads and it was another big jump in power. Basically what I'm saying is yes the doublehumps would be better, but aftermarket heads would be even better. If you can do it for $100 plus gaskets, that is mighty tempting.

Also, you might want to check that the doublehumps have accessory holes. Mine were 461 heads that didn't have accessory holes. They worked fine but it was a bit of work making brackets for the alternator etc.

One last thing, you should pick up a vacuum gauge. They're cheap, probably $10 and a great tool.

dh
Old 06-29-2008, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks dh79, I will P/U the gauge and I think I'm gonna jump on the hump for a cheap fix. The specs on that cam call for 10.5:1 and the 8.8 just isn't doin it for me. Went out this weekend for a spin and found a few other things that need to be buttoned up. No biggy, just little stuff. Carb seems to be pretty close though. Thanks for the help everyone!
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.