Finishing off Year One 350/400hp - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Finishing off Year One 350/400hp

Hi, I purchased the year one 350 with 400hp http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ngine&SM=1&SC=. I should be recieving it within about 2 weeks. I have called the shop numerous times to ask about which parts are needed, and I always think of more questions once I am off of the phone. So I know everyone here could help me out. I am not sure if a Fuel Pushrod will already be in this block. If anyone knows let me know. Also because it has a Hydraulic Roller Cam, would a bronze tip comp cam pushrod be ok so it doesnt grind. Also wondering if anyone knows if these heads are square port or round port so I know which copper gaskets to buy for my headers?

Next that brings me to the starter and fuel pump. Would you go with a high torque starter that costs 150, or could I get away with a remanufactured OEM starter for 50 bucks? I was also looking at a holley fuel pump that is 110gph, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-327-11/, is this a good pump for the engine. Last question I have is regarding motor mounts, can I just use the polyeurathane motor mounts and tranny mounts that run about 9 dollars a piece from Auto Zone, or should I buy the ones from summit that are 73 for the entire kit? Thanks for your help guys. It has been 11 years since I have driven a classic car, so I want to have everything ready to go to get it running same day .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
A couple of things here....don't know what intake manifold the motor will be shipped with, but any of these 3, depending on the finish you desire, would be my choice.
Performer RPM Vortec #7116*
Performer RPM Vortec w/ EnduraShine finish #71164*
Polished Performer RPM Vortec #71161*
As far as a fuel pump, if I were going to use a mechanical and didn't want to fool with a regulator, this might be my choice.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6624/
Excellent volume with reasonable pressure to prevent overpowering the needle and seat in the carb. The Holley you're looking at has too much pressure unless you planned to include a regulator. No reason to go to all that trouble, just use the correct pump in the first place.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Hi Tech, Thanks for being so great with your replies. I will purchase that fuel pump. They are including a dual plane intake already, so I wasnt really planning on having to change it at all. Is there a reason why I would have to change it? Car will never see the strip, just being a good cruiser.

Tech if I could bother you to answer a couple more questions. I will list them to make it easier.

1. What starter would you use?
2. Do you know if the vortec heads are square/round ports?
3. What mounts would you use for this engine and th350?
4. Would a bronze tipped pushrod be ok for a hydraulic roller cam and do you possibly know if there will already be one in place?

And Tech, I want to thank you immensely for all of your help this past year. You have always been there to answer my questions. Thanks again, Peter
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes67bird
1. What starter would you use?

Lifetime starter at Autozone. Hold onto the receipt.

2. Do you know if the vortec heads are square/round ports?

Order exhaust gaskets for '98 Chevy 2500 series truck with 5700 Vortec motor, RPO L31.

3. What mounts would you use for this engine and th350?

Stock Chevrolet, across the counter at your local Chevy dealer. I don't care for that poly junk.

4. Would a bronze tipped pushrod be ok for a hydraulic roller cam and do you possibly know if there will already be one in place?

Doubt there will be one there. Find out who the cam grinder is and call their tech line for a recommendation.
Appreciate your vote of confidence.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again Tech. My uncle used to always help me out with these things but he has since passed away. I just needed a car, if only to walk into the garage and smell that carbureted smell. Just brings back so many memories. Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I brought that copper/brass radiator today to a local rad shop, cost me 30 bucks and they said it should be good as new. They attached a trans cooler they had laying around to the radiator for 10 dollars. Cant beat cooling for 40 bucks when I was looking at 485. Thanks for the advice. Now on to finding a thermostatic clutch, water pump and I have to measure the opening for the shroud to ensure that 18' 7 fan blade will fit. Thanks Peter
Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Hey Tech, I am guessing I am looking at way overpriced water pumps at summit, is there one in particular you would go with?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.