Fire in Carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fire in Carb

My PVC valve is not working properly as oil is going into the carb plate. Carb caught on fire several times while I was starting up. The oil appears to be inbetween carb side meter plate. The meter plate to the float bowl side seems pretty clean.

To clean out the oil, can I do a deep clean by dipping the meter plate and carb into the carb cleaner dip? Air dry with compressed air? IS the carb salvagable?

After cleaning the carb and meter plate, I will change the PVC valve in the valve cover to the vaccum hose in the carb plate.

Advertisement

Last edited by juiced66malibu; 01-02-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What kind of carb are we talking about? and what metering plate? Does the vacuum hose from the PVC valve hook to the base of the carb or a plate between the carb and the intake.
You cannot dip the carburetor unless it is completely disassembled and rebuilt as the cleaner will eat up all rubber parts in the carb.
You might have other issues other than oil being sucked into the carb base starting a fire as a spark would be needed to ignite it in the first place which would mean an intake valve is leaking or the timing is to far advanced.
The best thing you can do for it now is use a spray can of "carb and choke" cleaner on it.
Remove the carb and spray it down the venturi's and through the fitting where the PVC hose hooks up.
After you clean it and get it back on, you need to clean the inside of the PVC hose or replace it with a new one as there will be oil in it also. Then replace the PVC valve. If that doesn't help, you will need a complete rebuild (which includes a soak in carb cleaner) to flush all the oil and residue out of it. Hope this helps.

Another thing, the choke and carb cleaner is under pressure and spraying it in a carb and orifices causes it to fly out everywhere and usually in your face!
be careful and wear some safety glasses as not to get it in your eye's cause it will burn like hell ! Be safe!

Last edited by sqzbox; 01-02-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.