Hot Rod Forum banner

firebird hood

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Rag top bird 
#1 ·
ok heres what i got some po cut a hole in the middle of my 75 formula's hood is there an easy way to patch this an make it look ok

#2 ·
87fubar said:
ok heres what i got some po cut a hole in the middle of my 75 formula's hood is there an easy way to patch this an make it look ok
You could find a way but it probably wouldn't justify the cost and labor.

A few thing's you can do is, buy another hood if you can find one.
Buy an after market hood or, get a bolt on cowl to cover it up. I think the formula's dual ram snorkle hood looks awesome. If someone cut a hole in this original Formula hood they should be hung from a tree and flogged! If it doesn't have this hood, it isn't original anyway so I wouldn't bother and get an after market replacement. I doubt a patch would last very long and will eventually crack from the abuse of opening and closing all the time. JMO :D

Attachments

#5 ·
the hood has the functional dual scoops if i had the right filter housing. the hole in the middle of the hood is set back some from were the pont 400's carb is idk if they set the sb chevy closer to the firewall when i got it didn't have the motor or trans but the sb chevy mounts were there an welded to the crossmember wasn't fun getin those off

wish my camera wasn't broke or id put some pix up

#6 ·
It is possible to weld a piece cut from a stock Firebird hood into the hole to repair it. will require good welding skills and bodywork, it would be best to take it to the best oldtime bodyman in your area and pay them to do it if you are serious about saving it.

Not the place you want a rookie or less experienced welder doing the welding, very easy to warp it and ruin it.

#7 ·
ericnova72 said:
It is possible to weld a piece cut from a stock Firebird hood into the hole to repair it. will require good welding skills and bodywork, it would be best to take it to the best oldtime bodyman in your area and pay them to do it if you are serious about saving it.

Not the place you want a rookie or less experienced welder doing the welding, very easy to warp it and ruin it.
X2 couldn't agree more Eric. I had a buddy that had his challenger hood repaired and it looked good for a year or so and that's being nice because really you could notice where it was repaired at if you looked and didn't have to look hard either. There are some people out there that can do this and it will really look good but it might cost a bit. :thumbup:

Cole

#14 ·
Fiberglass :thumbup: Just a matter of patching the hole, smoothing the work, priming and block sanding the entire hood and then Epoxy priming and painting. You could leave it in Epoxy primer if you want the flat black look.

It won't need to be re-gelcoated.

If you know how to worjk with fiberglass it is a piece of cake, your hood can be saved. Bodyshop or even a Marina(boats are fiberglass) could help you.

#16 ·
I want to keep my hood, but it limits what I can do to my engine... I've actually thought about cutting a hole, but I just can't bring myself to do it. My scoops aren't functional. I can honestly say that a fiberglass hood from a 70-75 Formula is the heaviest damn hood I've ever removed in my life. When I first found out mine was fiberglass, I was shocked! I wish mine was functional though...

#17 ·
Cknarf said:
I want to keep my hood, but it limits what I can do to my engine... I've actually thought about cutting a hole, but I just can't bring myself to do it. My scoops aren't functional. I can honestly say that a fiberglass hood from a 70-75 Formula is the heaviest damn hood I've ever removed in my life. When I first found out mine was fiberglass, I was shocked! I wish mine was functional though...
I can say that Pontiac has the heaviest hoods and doors I have ever seen the heaviest was a 1974 Grand prix hood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.