Hot Rod Forum banner

Firebird Rocker Panels

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rusthater89 
#1 ·
What does the inside of a 1978 Firebird rocker panel look like. Is it simply a box or is it the kind that has a piece of metal in between?

#3 ·
never did one for that year but there's usually an inner and outer rocker. Might sound like a lot but it's a pretty bare minimal structural design. In newer cars you might find rocker covers and the outer sheet metal isn't even classified as an outer rocker, the outer rocker would be underneith, then there's an inner rocker too. So for sure on classic cars it's a lot less to deal with.

#5 ·
Looking at it I just see a few spot welds. So I figure I could drill them out and when I am done fixing it up I can just weld it back in place. The top part however looks like it is an extension of the floor.

My garage is a mess from sandblasting. When I am done i'll post some pics of it.

#7 ·
Since thats a unibody car there will be an inner structure but the outer rocker will pop right off once the welds are drilled out...look where the weather striping slips on the lip theres at least three layers of steel pinch welded together you dont have to drill out all three layers, just the top one to remove the outer rocker.same with the bottom pinch welds...getting it seperated from the 1/4 bottom will be a little tricky if you want to save the rocker,why do you want to remove it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.