Firebird Sub-frame to a 66 Truck frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Firebird Sub-frame to a 66 Truck frame

Has anyone come across and articles on how to weld together a firebird sub-frame to a 66 chevy truck frame. I am pretty sure I can do it but if I could find some info on it, that would make life just that more easier.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by budthespud
Has anyone come across and articles on how to weld together a firebird sub-frame to a 66 chevy truck frame. I am pretty sure I can do it but if I could find some info on it, that would make life just that more easier.

As far as I know.... A 1980's Chevy truck will bolt up with not much problem...My friend speedydeedy on here done a 1965 Chevy truck with one.. He can say for sure what has to be done...If you go that way... It sure made the truck ride better...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Yep.. '73-'87 bolt up, and '67-'72 bolts up ( '70-'72 could have discs ). '73-'87 brake parts are easier and cheaper to obtain
Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Bolt-up???

I'm sorry but am I missing something? How does a sub frame bolt-up to a full frame? Sorry but I'm not understanding. I figured I would have to cut & notch the bottom of the 66 frame to accept the sub frame. Then with a few fabrication mods to the sub-frame and the 66 frame, I'll give it a smooth look instead of a frame welded to a frame look. Then I can modify the front of the frame for the rad core support. Am I on the right track? Is there a moderator that has done this kind or seen this kind of work done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm sorry but am I missing something? How does a sub frame bolt-up to a full frame? Sorry but I'm not understanding. I figured I would have to cut & notch the bottom of the 66 frame to accept the sub frame. Then with a few fabrication mods to the sub-frame and the 66 frame, I'll give it a smooth look instead of a frame welded to a frame look. Then I can modify the front of the frame for the rad core support. Am I on the right track? Is there a moderator that has done this kind or seen this kind of work done? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't weld a frame to a frame... You take the whole crossmember out of both trucks.... The one you will be putting into your truck will bolt right in.. With a couple of MODS..There will be no sub frames at all.... You will be using your own frame. With the newer crossmember bolted to your frame..
Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

Your talking about what's called welding on a clip... Like a Camaro or Nova... That's not what we are trying to tell you to do.... It's two different things here... We are trying to tell you what will bolt right up with a couple of Mods..
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Oh now I understand. Take the crossmember off the sub frame and bolt that to the truck frame with some modifications right? Sorry I couldn't grasp it but now I do and thanks guys for setting me straight on that. That would make life so much easier. I would love to have a pic of this completed by someone though. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Oh now I understand. Take the crossmember off the sub frame and bolt that to the truck frame with some modifications right? Sorry I couldn't grasp it but now I do and thanks guys for setting me straight on that. That would make life so much easier. I would love to have a pic of this completed by someone though. Thanks for the help.

Send SpeedyDeedy a PM and he may have a picture of the one he did.... And he can tell you more about it..I know it wasn't that hard a all... I think he had to make some spacer's are something.. But the fit was dead on.. He would be glade to help you..
Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks N.T. This website has been an absolute gold mine for info on how-to's and what not to-do's. I've gotten more good info than anywhere I can think of. I already sent a PM to SpeedyDeedy for some help on this. Thanks again!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

I Decided what to do.

I'm going to weld the clip on instead of getting another crossmember off a later model truck. Reason for me is that everything on this clip has been replaced, ball joints, tie rods, poly bushings etc... and a close ratio power steering. I've already cut the truck frame and the sub-frame for this mating of the two. I surely don't recommend someone to do this unless they have a good welder/fitter that has the knowledge to do this. I've been a welder/fitter for over 30yrs so I'm quite confident this is the way to go for me. The most important things that you have to do to make 100% sure of is, to double check all your measurements before you cut, prep all your welds for full penetration, make sure sub frame is square to the truck frame, give it some good strong tacks and spread your welds out so you don't distort the frame. I will have pics in my journal later this week on how its going and looks. Thanks for the feedback everyone it helped me decide what to do.

Your project is your canvas, show the world what you can do!!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

"I surely don't recommend someone to do this unless they have a good welder/fitter that has the knowledge to do this."

and a really good lawyer.

You are structurally re-engineering a vehicle and using it on public roads. IF anything ever goes wrong, it's 100% on you until the day it gets scrapped.

Tell it to the judge.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman
"I surely don't recommend someone to do this unless they have a good welder/fitter that has the knowledge to do this."

and a really good lawyer.

You are structurally re-engineering a vehicle and using it on public roads. IF anything ever goes wrong, it's 100% on you until the day it gets scrapped.

Tell it to the judge.

I guess we should ''ALL'' start looking for a new hobby then.... Because all of our hot rods are re-engineered..

And don't drive anything at all because of what if...

Man !!!! Anything can happen in life.. You don't live your life by what if !!!

Build it safe, And live a good life, and you don't need to worry about ''ANYTHING''...

I lost count of all the front clip's I have installed..
Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last photo:

Wow??

I totally thought that this was what hot rodding is all about? Some of the greatest car builders have re-engineered almost everything they touch. I totally agree with olddude about an experienced welder/fitter when I said I had 30yrs of it. Please feel free to follow my journal olddude as I will be posting it as I go pics included. I will take any criticism weather good or bad because I will be at the wheel of this truck and I want it to be as safe for me and anyone else that's on the road. Fair enough??

I'm certified welder/fitter and a journeyman Ironworker. I personally recommend anyone who thinks of doing this or shortening a long-box frame to a short one etc... get a certified welder at least that has the proof to back him up if you are going to do any kind of fabricating like I'm doing. That's my opinion and I think most of the readers wouldn't attempt this anyway. Also I've re-engineered the rear with a 4-link, boxed the frame for strength, built my own gas tank, and there's more and I think if I ran a post about this I wonder what the membership would say??? Like I said before I'm confident that I know what I'm doing. Have a good one!!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Not a 65 Chevy, but I clipped my 51 Ford with a Nova subframe. I think its pretty solid, as I did it almost 20 years ago and its still holding up as my daily driver.....Here is a pretty poor pic of what I did.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.