firebird v6-v8 swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

firebird v6-v8 swap

i am new to the forum. nice to meet everyone. i want to swap the 2.8l v6 in my 86 pontiac firebird to a v8, are there any suggestions as to what size v8 would make a good swap. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Well it depends on what you want... do you want it to be fuel injected, or carbed? I'd say a nice LS1 would do, or any LSX motor for that matter. I wouldn't suggest swaping in any of the stock motors from the 3rd generation F-body, even if they'd be the easiest simply because they lack performance, and the aftermarket doesn't exactly support them much.

It's all in what you want really, or what you can afford. You'll have to be putting in a better rear-end for the V8. For all out power, I'd go with a 454 carbed... it'd be cheap and reliable... unless you start pumping nitrous in it. Of course you also may want handling as well... just think about what you want, because I think you asked a very broad question.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM

v6 -v8 swap 1986 firebird

if i go with a 454 carb. do you think there will be enough room for the engine to fit, or would i need to do some modifications. also as far as the rear end is concerned, will just beefing up the gear ratio work or do you think a complete swap with a GM 10 bolt will do or would a modified ford 9inch do better, if it can be modified to fit a GM vehicle. thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Poncho Power

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian'sfb86
i am new to the forum. nice to meet everyone. i want to swap the 2.8l v6 in my 86 pontiac firebird to a v8, are there any suggestions as to what size v8 would make a good swap. thanks
It will be alot cheaper to sell your car and buy one with factory v-8, ESPECIALLY if this is a daily driver and you live in a emissions control area.

To answer your question more specifically, we need to know more about the car, intended use, etc. Putting in a "mild" V-8 will cause alot of havoc on a old tired suspension and drivetrain.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 AM
LY6coupe

Last photo:

keep it simple!

Well I'm no expert,but I would just keep it simple. 350 or 355 cid, hei, carb,th350,and a decent lsd unit. I wouldn't go crazy with the 7.5 rear,but a quality lsd will work. With some new bushing and some suspension mods, BAM! Sweet,simple, cost efficient, and hardly no mods required. That 454 is going to feel like a frontend loader in that bird without lots of mods,plus you would have to eliminate the a/c as well. The 350cid built could be a real nice one for about 2,500 bucks. Brand new th350 with a few performance mods, about 700 bucks. Complete new bushing kit, around 125 bucks. Plus the 350cid will give you tons of room to grow. Heads,cam,blower,NOS,ect. Not to mention a great power to weight ratio! Keep it simple!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.