Hot Rod Forum banner

Fired up for the first time today - video

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  OldSchoolChevy 
#1 · (Edited)
I've covered some of this in my journal, but I'll recap anyway. Last fall I found a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII donor car. These cars have the 4.6 32 valve DOHC aluminum engine in them, similar to the Mustang Cobra, but not as stout. I transplanted it into my T bucket, built a Megasquirt EFI computer to run the ignition and fuel injection systems, added a 6-71 blower that I rebuilt and rewired and replumbed everything for the new motor.

I finally got to the point today where I could test fire it to make sure that all the systems were working so I can continue reassemby. After a few minutes of cranking, it fired. Still have some tuning to do and finish putting everything back together, but it runs. :thumbup:

http://media.putfile.com/starting-motor-for-first-time

Note: 4/05/06 added a faster loading video file
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2083117858106225418

(for some reason I couldn't post the video to my gallery)

#8 ·
Thanks,
it's been a real learning experiance. That's kind of the whole point behind this car from the beginning anyway. I just hope the tranny works off the factory computer with the engine being contolled by a different computer, that's the next hurdle.

#10 ·
AArrggghhhhh
Its not letting me iew it.
I can tell you that I think yer car looks awesome though! :thumbup:
Ive checked out yer journal a lot. Way cool. Hg

#13 ·
Arrowhead said:
I just hope the tranny works off the factory computer with the engine being contolled by a different computer, that's the next hurdle.
What system are you using to control the engine? And is it running on a close to stock or custom program in the video? How did you mount the TPS? Can you take a picture of the top of the blower/intake to show how the fuel rails and fuel plumbing was ran? I am thinking of doing something close to that with a Chevy LT1 engine.

BTW that is one sweet set up, engine and car. Very nice job. :drool:

Steve

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks again everyone. Hope i'm not being premature bragging on it :)

HG, can't wait till you fire yours up, that thing is gonna be crazy!

1931 steve,

The computer is a Megasquirt.

http://www.megasquirt.info/

The only thing I'm using from the stock motor are the injectors and the EDIS-8 distributorless ignition system (which is super slick by the way). I used aftermarket fuel rails to mount the injectors and just made up AN hose and fittings and connected to the supply and return line (the motor I pulled out was already EFI, so the pump was still there) The transmission is a Ford R470W which is an electronically shifted. The Megasquirt is not capable (yet) to shift the transmission, so I need to piggyback the stock computer for shifting duties (I really just don't want to drop $450 for an aftermarket trans controller)

I had to program the computer with a laptop to match my motor configuration to get it started. It will require additional tuning once it's roadworthy.

Actually, the TPS isn't mounted yet, that is on my list, thats why it doesn't rev up smoother in the video.

So far I'm pretty impressed with the Megasquirt. it' not for the faint at heart, you have to solder all the components on the circuit board, but it was all about learning new things for me anyway.

I'll post more pics when everything is buttoned up nice.

#17 ·
DejaVu! Awesome!

Arrowhead, that is just a beautiful sound. We will definitely have to compare notes on the whole 6-71 blown 4.6 DOHC thing! I'm doing the same thing right now and my 6-71 should be here next week.

I am most impressed with that MegaSquirt package too. I took a few minutes to read up on it, being a computer programmer too, and I must say that is an ingenius way to go.

I am also curious on what you used for a lower intake to mate the 6-71 to the DOHC. I'm down to machining my aluminum adapter plate but am always looking for options. You also mentioned you are using the factory injectors, so are you injecting above the blower or down in the factory position? I'd really like to see more pictures of how you did this.

Where we differ is that I'm using the factory 2003 Ford PCM and sticking with MAF instead of Speed Density. I wont hijack your thread and will start one later with my build.

Keep up the awesome work and keep those pictures and videos coming!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.