Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Firewall grommets for AC & Heater (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/firewall-grommets-ac-heater-222681.html)

Mutt's37Buick 08-08-2012 01:12 PM

Firewall grommets for AC & Heater

I'm installing a 94 Accord HVAC system in my 37 Buick.
I need 2 inch inner diam and 1 inch diam grommets for the AC & Heater lines that go through the firewall.
1) What are best firewall grommets for AC & Heater lines?
2) Can I use any common wire grommets or do I need parts made out of special material to handle the heat and cold?
3) Should I go with a large OEM style grommet with two holes or would two smaller grommets work?
Thanks

PatM 08-08-2012 01:24 PM

Perhaps '94 Accord HVAC grommets would be ideal. Not trying to be a SA, but it seems so logical. I admit to being out of touch with the 94 Accords, though.

PatM

Mutt's37Buick 08-08-2012 02:07 PM

You are right that the Accord grommets may be the way to go.
I was just trying to see what hotrod builders use and find out if there are other sources for grommets.
I believe the Accord has one grommet with two holes for evaporator & a second similar for the heater core.
Two smaller holes would be easier to drill, than one larger hole, but a single grommet with two holes may make install easier.
Thanks

farna 08-15-2012 07:14 PM

You can use regular rubber grommets such as used for electrical pass through. Whether one or two holes is up to you -- what's easier? You can also use a bulkhead connector (plate), but would have to cut the hoses and put screw-on ends on them to screw to the connector. Something like this: Inline AC Bulkhead Plates with Fittings - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop. Some companies make a two line connector (check Vintage Air), Speedway only has the four line (AC and heater hoses).

Mutt's37Buick 08-16-2012 10:03 AM

Thanks for your help.
The GM AC lines are a metal tubes with o-rings that fit into female fittings on the GM evaporator.
Can I cut the ends of the GM AC lines and attach end connectors that would be compatable with Accord evaporator?
The Honda evaporator has threaded connections.
My guess is that the Honda evaporator has metric threads, but I have not been able to find any specification on them.
Thanks

farna 08-16-2012 11:11 AM

You can find metric and US standard ends of all types at AC hose sites. Speedway has some, so does Vintage Air. Here's a good site (I haven't used them though):Automotive Air Conditioning A/C Hose Fittings

The newer GM stuff will have metric threads also, I'd say from 1980 on for sure. You can swap the metal tubes for rubber, or silver solder new metal tubes. You'll just have to figure out what threads and sizes you have and make hoses to fit. I had to do that on mine -- I'm using the original 1963 evaporator and expansion valve (under dash parts) with a late 90s Chrysler LS parallel flow condenser (in front of radiator) and a 1988 Jeep Sanden compressor. The Chrysler used a metal tube to the drier with a quick connect fitting IIRC, but I cut it and used a compression fitting to mate to a short custom made rubber line to the universal drier. The other connection to the condenser was threaded in. The under dash components used flare fittings, the compressor and all other fittings used new style o-ring fitting. Had to have all hoses made. Good luck!!

oldbogie 08-16-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutt's37Buick (Post 1581161)
I'm installing a 94 Accord HVAC system in my 37 Buick.
I need 2 inch inner diam and 1 inch diam grommets for the AC & Heater lines that go through the firewall.
1) What are best firewall grommets for AC & Heater lines?
2) Can I use any common wire grommets or do I need parts made out of special material to handle the heat and cold?
3) Should I go with a large OEM style grommet with two holes or would two smaller grommets work?
Thanks

This stuff ain't cheap but it is so good.

Molded Grommet Strip, Rubber Grommets at cableorganizer.com

Bogie