firewall insulation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

firewall insulation

Hi
I bought insulation for the inside of my firewall and it is about 1/2" thick and has the alluminum on one side only, the other side is like a jute material or something. It says to glue it with the alluminum stuff facing the firewall,but I was wondering if it would be OK to glue it with the shiny side out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Always look up in a custom

Last photo:

Thermozite is meant to be installed with the foil side to the firewall. It's the first layer of heat shielding. It also isn't very stable to be a covering over the padding material.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

so then I should glue the foil side to the firewall--right? Is there anything I can cover the padding side with? I also have another product that has the foil on both sides,but it's not as thick and I thought maybe the thicker stuff would work better???
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Always look up in a custom

Last photo:

The other stuff is most likely Heat Shield (tm) insulation material. Actually, that stuff is the bomb. When it first came out, the resto shop where I worked was sent a glove of the heat shield. You could slip it on and hold a propane torch up against your hand and not feel a thing. It's not overly expensive either.

I usually use the regular Thermozite on a stock replacement, to match up to original and to help smooth out panel irregularities. The heat shield is a nice alternative in tight applications, such as an old-bodied street rod that doesn't have a whole lot of room to begin with.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

my car is a 26T and i'm installing a 350-350 would u recomend using the thicker one with foil on one side or the thinner one with foil on both sides?
Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 AM

use the thinner stuff for a cleaner install
Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

I picked up this magazine the other day that I never saw before its called Collectors Edition STREET ROD Milestones Nice mag! anyhow they do a a car insulation and they use strips of dynomat and then they use the foil on one side stuff and put the foil facing the interior they say that way it creates an air pocket similar to a double pane window and its that layer of air that provides the insulation ???
Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

you do want foil towards the firewall to stop "radiant" heat coming into the car....

to see how effective foil is for stopping radiant heat...wrap a piece around the rad hose....grab the hot bare hose with one hand and the wrapped part with the other at the same time....

go get your wife's roll of baking aluminum foil (easier to work with, it's thicker) in the kitchen and some contact cement and glue that to the jute side or the firewall if you want the other foil side showing

the purpose of the jute is to "help" keep the inside of the car stay warm or cool, (same as attic insulation)

foil on both sides is better because the only 1/2"(?) of jute is a poor heat insulator (R value)

Last edited by red65mustang; 03-21-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

Thank you for the info , I'm going to look in that mag and see what shop was doing it the other way & see if I can get in touch with them and see why they are doing it that way . I allways thought the foil went toward the firewall like you said. But I have both kinds,foil on both sides and foil on one side,but the one with foil on one side is thicker,thats why I was thinking of using it , but I don't want the batting showing

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.