Firewall Paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Firewall Paint

Hi everyone
I'm restoring a 72 Nova and I'm ready to paint the firewall and dash and was wondering whats a good durable satin paint to us.I've smoothed the firewall and painted with SPI epoxy and was thinking of just leaving it like that but I've noticed it scratches easily I painted the underside,inside and trunk with SPI epoxy primer and it seems pretty durable to chemicals but you can scratch it.When I say scratch I'm saying hitting it with something ,I guess all paint will scratch.You can rub on it all day with a rug and its good,I've even taken paint thinner and rubbed on it and it will not hurt it.Sitting here posting this makes me think this is some pretty good stuff.Has anybody used SPI epoxy like this and not put a top coat over it.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 09:55 PM

use a good ruberized undercoating,, it will help with the heat plus it won,t rust or be afected by water or weather,, just an idea,,
Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 AM

Last photo:

Damn! It must be nice to have a rotisserie! Looks good.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

A lot of cars just had primer on the bottom side from the factory, and some restorers are using SPI black epoxy on the engine bay and misc parts that were originally satin black. The gloss can be controlled by the amount of reducer used. But I would use a top coat over the dash.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Justin

Last photo:

Just some ideas.

Keep the SPI, it looks great! Last I heard SPI is good as a top coat, this suggests the scratches can be worked out... can you polish scratches out as they happen or touch them up? Once you are done, I doubt the firewall will be much of an area that is likely to get scratched.

Blitz Black (yep I said it) I think this is a great under hood paint, plus you can use a hardener.

Some sprayable sound deadner or bedliner (as suggested above)? It will not look as slick as you currently have it but it will keep heat and sound at a minimum.

Regardless, that is a good looking rig. Good work!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:45 PM

Do not use rubberized undercoating, your better off with just the epoxy. If it won't be exposed to UV it should hold up and look the same for a long time. You could top coat with a flattened clear possibly if you want to make it more UV resistant or mess around with the final finish of the epoxy.

Last edited by ppgsprayer; 08-27-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.