Hot Rod Forum banner

firewall pass through

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Turbo Indian 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a small block that I can attach to the firewall for things like my aftermarket gauges. I'm wanting a block that can do about 6-8 wires. I need to keep it small & inconspicuos. I have searched here & Google but I don't know what it is actually called. can someone please point me in the right direction? I have looked at the Painless catalog & did not find what I'm looking for, unless I over looked it. I do not want to just use a hole & fish the wires through it.

#2 ·
Amphenol makes just what you want.

You will need something waterproof with #18 wire capability (for gauges) . I prefer solder type but crimp type are available. A special tool will be required for crimp type.

Google--key words : military circular amphenol connector
Chose: www.newarkinone.com

It's easier to find things in their catalog thru Google.

Also there are many surplus sites.
Happy hunting.

vicrod

#3 ·
it's just terminology that gottcha', try: "bulkhead electrical pass thru" on google

attached pic is from Pave Technology (pass thru's and connects), is the far right what your thinkin?

if yes, think seriously about making your own and round....much easier to cut a round hole and trim a home made rubber plug than cut an exact rectangle hole in the firewall

Attachments

#4 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

I have used the Round Amphenol Connectors like Vicrod described..and they are SWEET! :thumbup:

Easy to install, (just use a round metal holesaw, and four screw holes) You can "Pot" them by applying anything from electricians putty to light hydro-seal, and if you put the face side on the inside of the firewall, It will be waterproof, and pretty much fume proof.

Plus if you get the inserter / Extractor, pin movements and additions are a breeze..

Doc :pimp:

#5 ·
clarification/correction due to brain rot:

much easier to trim a round hole to fit a plug made from a body access plug or similar that can also be trimmed alittle for a really tight fit....

anyway, I'm with Vicrod and Doc, would use a "bulk head connector" thru the firewall... not a "pass thru connector"....unless it is something very ohms sensitive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.