Firing no.1 Chevy 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Firing no.1 Chevy 350

Well i installed a camshaft, lifters, timing chain, etc, so I set the static timing on my Chevy 350 and it sounds like it wants to start cranks and crank and cranks, but nothing sounds good too, but doesn't start.. It's set to 10 BTDC then rotor to cylinder no.1 and nothing..

What do I do now, I heard someone say that my timing could be retarded ...MEANING?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

180 off on distributor?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofny1997 View Post
Well i installed a camshaft, lifters, timing chain, etc, so I set the static timing on my Chevy 350 and it sounds like it wants to start cranks and crank and cranks, but nothing sounds good too, but doesn't start.. It's set to 10 BTDC then rotor to cylinder no.1 and nothing..

What do I do now, I heard someone say that my timing could be retarded ...MEANING?
Retarded would mean the distributor needs to be turned CCW more than it now is. Often when the distributor is turned too far advanced the engine will act like the battery is low or the starter dragging- it'll turn over slowly.

Take a look here. Also at the bottom of that page are several links to more info like how to make a timing tape and the differences in the SBC timing tabs and dampers through the years that can get mixed up- and results in a false timing reading.

Also be sure that the plug wires for #5 and #7 aren't mixed up. They are next to each other on the distributor cap AND the plugs are next to each other at the driver side cylinder head.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 AM

Last photo:

Here is a worse case. Happened to an older customer of mine just this week.

Changed timing set (a three position unit). Installed a roller cam and retro-fit lifters SBC.
He called me to check the timing for him. He had the upper gear dot lined up with keyway. I told him no. Place timing marks dot to dot..

Calls me Monday and says engine won't fire and is pushing pressure out of carb.. Long story short. I went over to see and he had lined up the cam dot with the retard mark on lower gear. Bent all the intake valves and pulled all the intake rocker studs.. NOT a good day for him..

Yours is probably ign 180 out, as mentioned above..
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Here is a worse case. Happened to an older customer of mine just this week.

Changed timing set (a three position unit). Installed a roller cam and retro-fit lifters SBC.
He called me to check the timing for him. He had the upper gear dot lined up with keyway. I told him no. Place timing marks dot to dot..

Calls me Monday and says engine won't fire and is pushing pressure out of carb.. Long story short. I went over to see and he had lined up the cam dot with the retard mark on lower gear. Bent all the intake valves and pulled all the intake rocker studs.. NOT a good day for him..

Yours is probably ign 180 out, as mentioned above..

Um......wow! All this was done with just the starter rolling the engine?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Retarded would mean the distributor needs to be turned CCW more than it now is. Often when the distributor is turned too far advanced the engine will act like the battery is low or the starter dragging- it'll turn over slowly.

Take a look here. Also at the bottom of that page are several links to more info like how to make a timing tape and the differences in the SBC timing tabs and dampers through the years that can get mixed up- and results in a false timing reading.

Also be sure that the plug wires for #5 and #7 aren't mixed up. They are next to each other on the distributor cap AND the plugs are next to each other at the driver side cylinder head.
You're exactly right the The motor does sound like the battery is low, and a little draggy, it does turn over slow

I don't have 5 & 7 mixed up because theirs no miss or ruff ness just slow turn over
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Have you tried moving the distributor a few degrees either way while someone is cranking the engine to see if it catches. Don't worry too much about having the timing set perfectly until you get it running.
As a last resort you can pull the distributor cap and #1 spark plug, then crank the engine with your finger over #1 plug hole. When it pops off stop, then check the position of the rotor to see if it's pointed near #1 on the cap. If not then you can adjust as needed to get it in the ballpark.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofny1997 View Post

What position did you align the timing marks on the gears? When they face each other (crank at 12 and cam at 6) the camshaft is timed to fire number 6 not number 1. From the installtion instruction that has the gears aligned toward each other; the crank needs to be turned one revolution clockwise, looking from the front, to bring both marks to the 12 o'clock position which is then set to fire number 1. If you didn't do this last rotation before dropping the distributor in place, then if you set it up the distributor to fire number 1 it is 180 degrees out as when the pip marks face each other it is ready to fire number 6.

The quick fix is to align the distributor to firing number 6, remove the hold down, raise the distributor, turn the rotor shaft so it's pointed at number 6 and drop the distributor back into place and fasten it down.

This is a common problem that bites everybody at least once.

Bogie
Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 AM

Last photo:

Well I turned it on after like 3 months of rebuilding and turning the motor around, a lot of research and forum hopping thanks for the help
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

You turned it on? Are you saying youu got it running? If so, what did it take to get it to fire up?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
You turned it on? Are you saying youu got it running? If so, what did it take to get it to fire up?
Yeah I got the car running, I placed the harmonic balancer mark at 10 BTDC and put the rotor facing the no.1 cylinder like I been doing, but this time with one arm on the
Key to turn it, and stretching my other hand on the dizzy, ( I'm 6'3 my arms are long) and turned the key and slowly retarded the time till it caught up and vrooom it turned on
Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

That's the way I do them! Glad it worked!
My crank open windshield on the gasser makes tuning and cranking the engine even easier!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.