Hot Rod Forum banner

First 383 build

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
I got a good deal on 350 4 bolt main and Im looking to put a 383 stroker kit in it with a turbo. Its my first build so I have a couple questions. I plan on going with a forged crank and pistons but I'm not sure what length rod and piston style I need. Should I go with cast or aluminium heads? Will I need to upgrade my head bolts with a turbo? And any suggestions would be appreciated.

#7 ·
Id like to get round 500+whp. I don't really have a budget set this will take awhile as I'm buying the parts as I get the money, but I'm not going cheap either. As far as rpms I'm not exactly sure. And the turbo is really just to say I have one and for the sound haha. I don't plan on running a lot of boost but I want an adjustable waste gate and internal components that can handle it just in case. Like I said this is my first build I am pretty knowledge able but I'd like some advice from people that know what would be best.

#8 ·
So couple small notes here.
If your looking for a mild 383 then scrap the Turbo idea and just build a healthy N/A motor, good heads, roller cam, fun 400-450 HP street motor for realativly inexpensive motor.
If your determined to do a turbo invest in an aftermarket block, a mild 383 on 10#+ is going to make enough nuts to break a stock block....and yes.....I'm aware many are out there living just fine....but its a dice roll....and is your budget enough to do it over if it breaks........

#10 ·
What would be the best option for heads?..I will be putting a turbo on it but like I said it's mainly for sho and small gaims. Unless I'm on the drag strip I probably won't go over 5psi. By the first thing id like to order is the stroker kit then heads and I'm still confused at to the length of rods and style I need and the type of piston I need(flat,dome, or dished).

#12 ·
I already stated twice,start with the heads,lol.
or at least determine the flow numbers you require???
If you go low boost the the CR needs to be more than if you decide to turn the boost level up.

why not build an engine that will work well with say,,, 10 pounds boost,and if the scares you too much,use a rev limiter and lower the boost to 6 pounds.
in essence you will detune a 750 hp engine to what ever you feel comfortable with

#15 ·
Vinnie your right on the money id like to have alot of hp and detune it to what I'm comfortable with for a daily/weekend driver but be able to close or partially close the wastgate then tune it to get max power before I take it to the strip(but most the stroker kits I'm seeing say up to 500hp so im still gonna need some advice on a rotating assembly eventually). The only thing is I wanted to go carbureted,other than atvs and dirtbikes i've never messed with one and i wanted to take this as a learning experience. So are there any brands/models of heads you'd recommend? Cast or aluminum? And with say 8lbs boost what CR would be ideal and what would be the best way to accomplish that? Power train will definitely be upgraded the only thing I'm not to sure about is the rear end, but that will be way down the road. Lots of questions I know but I don't want to build a half *** motor.

#18 ·
I think I would piece the rotating parts together. Howards makes good stuff and callies cranks are serious pieces. My engine has wiseco pistons. crower also has good stuff.I prefer to build with quality parts.
there are a few off shore pieces that are worth looking at.I personally use known components
I would use forged crank and forged pistons,though some users have used hyper pistons and nodular cranks with success

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.