First Attempt at Door Panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Classic Mustang Maniac

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First Attempt at Door Panels

Hi all,

I this is my first attempt a making fiberglass anything. I figured to jump in and go for it.

Anyway I have made a card board template of the driver side door panel.

As you can see in the pics below part of the panel is to be raised(outer part of the panel) but I want the overall thickness (excluding the arm rest) to be only about 1/4". The standard door panel for a 66 Mustang is around 1/4 basically cardboard wraped in vinyl.

I guess my question is does the panel have to be backed with plywood like lauan then covered in fleece?

Or can I have a fiberglass(fleece and resin) back and build on top of it with more fleece to make the raised portion.

Also does anyone recommend strengthening the panel with mat?

Any other tip are appreciated as well.

Thanks for any answers,
mustang_Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel_temp2small.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	8443   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel_temp5small.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	8444  

Advertisement

Last edited by mustang_Tomsilver; 12-17-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Tom, I don't have any advice since I am an amateur at glass work myself. But I am wondering are you talking about just the door insert panel or doing the whole door? The reason I ask is I am thinking about making a glass panel that would cover the entire door. The plan is to cover the door with release agent of some type and then do a lay-up with thin cotton cloth and resin from the window felt all the way to the weather strip and then have this shell upholstered to make a removable panel. I plan to use a pony type panel insert in this removable panel. I was hoping to find someone who has done this before.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:27 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:

i would think you would want to use the mat it will strengthen the door panel and keep it all together, you can use fiberglass that has the "hairs" or "strands" already in like "gorilla Hair" and that stuff is tough as nails. the fiber glass final product is stronger when it has the "strands" or mat as part of it.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Last journal entry: My 67 Nova Build
Last photo:

check this site out - these are the real pro's at doing fiberglass interior stuff on cars. they have a section talking about how they did the door panels as well as everything else in the car - killer work. If i were you i would use some 1/8th inch medite from home depot and then glass on top of that - this way you could put door clips into the panel like a normal panel would have (hidden of course). also if you want to use say a 3oz glass mat with resin you could first lay use polyester fabric from any fabric store stretched and stapled down over your raised area's - that is how guys are getting the flowing curves etc. granted fleece eliminates the need for the glass mat but man it has got to be heavier than **** once soaked in resin, plus stretched polyester will giver smoother crisper curves , lines etc. - also be aware that a coat of marglass is important to prevent warpage before taking the panel out of the car after glassing (for finishing etc) - i learned this the hard way with a headliner +200 bucks wasted on materials. hope this helps

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com:7777/html...003_civic.html
Old 12-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Classic Mustang Maniac

Last photo:

Thanks for the info

And yes I am only doing the insert for the door not an entire panel, so there would be no hidden clips to secure the panel to the door.

I want it to look some what stock (in a sense).

Since the panel has 9 screws that held it to the panel I still want to use this
method of securing the panel to the door.

However I want to use polished stainless steel (or chrome )button head allen bolts.

I guess my next step is to get some plywood as a base and get to work.

Thanks again

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.