Hot Rod Forum banner

first attempt at a head lining

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  stumpy1972uk1 
#1 ·
i am currently making a start on my vauxhall victor fd seats and making a start on the bedford cf seats ( originally out of a chevy starcraft mpv) over the winter period , too cold and damp outside to work on the van and car body. whilst doing my seats for the fd i got asked by a friend to make a headling for his ford thames 400e pickup. the only problem being ford actually never made a headling for these trucks so a spring steel frame had to be made to the shape of the cab with the bows silver soldered to the frame

run the new headliner vinyl throught the walking foot sewing machine then the headling material had to be sewed by hand onto the roof bows.

just got to glue the ends on to the frame then fix into the truck ,

once its fitted i will upload finished pics , not sure if this is in the right section. thanks for looking ade.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very ingenious. Another, probably quicker, way to do this would be to put stake wire into the listings and just hog ring the headliner to the bows.

#6 ·
cheers guys , the headlining has been just temporary popped into place for the uk classic car show over here. im waiting for the pictures from the guy , believe it or not the same guy that owns the thames ford 400e also has a ford 100e too. theres quite a few ford 100e`s with ford 302s and chevy 350s over here. the custom car owners love them. as soon as i can get some pcs of the head lining i will update the thread. regards ade

#8 ·
hi guys , just some updated pics of the headlining for my mates ford thames 400e
the frame was tried in the recess inside the top of the cab ,

this is the recess it had to spring into place.

the frame was slightly too short so i had to add more steel to the bows , simply done , just cut and sleeved at the right places ,the frame was then recovered with the expanded vinyl , unfortunalty i dont have a hog ring pliers or i would have taken dans advice and hog ringed the listings to the bows , just been laid off at work so moneys tight at the moment.
this is how it looked with the vinyl pulled up around the frame.

my mate andy has fitted the headlining temporary for the uk classic car show and he said that it held into place on the drive home too. once its fitted in permenant i will post some finished pics. ade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.