First batch with new powder coater - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 06:17 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Way to go Cboy. I'll bet your hooked now, eh? It took me a few tries to get used to it, but now I coat anything I can. Easy to cleanup, minimal mess, and if you make a mistake, just blow the powder off and start over.

Here's a tip - try coating with the chome first and then go over with some transparent colors, i have lollipop blue I've been using. It looks real good over the chrome.

I needed a 45 degree angle fitting for my fuel lines. All I had was a nasty looking galvanized steel pipe fitting from the hardware store. So I ground it down and sanded it smooth then coated with the lollipop blue (didn't need the chrome as it was shiney at that point anyway) and it looks like the rest of the blue earls an fittings (maybe better)

I really like the wrinkle black coating too.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

A friend of mine did a bunch of almost chrome on his 90's cougar. He also had one of those venitilated hoods. Anyway the almost chrome ended up water spotting and getting dull. I am not sure if it was his skills as a powder coater, as he also did some steel rims which later ended up rusting. He was using the kit like the one on eastwood with the little plastic bottles that screw on.

Anyway just an fyi. You may wanna see what happens if you expose some to water for a while. If your hood is tight I don't think you will have the same issues though.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Those look awesome Cboy!
After you coated the brackets chrome, did you have to put on a coat of clear?

Brad
Old 04-04-2006, 08:17 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_Jager
Anyway the almost chrome ended up water spotting and getting dull. I am not sure if it was his skills as a powder coater, as he also did some steel rims which later ended up rusting.
Thanks for the heads up. Being brand new to this I speak with absolutely zero authority, but my initial response would be that the rusting problem might well have something to do with the prep work...not getting the part totally clean and free of rust to begin with. The water spotting & dulling, on the other hand, would seem to be more product related...and thus of greater concern to me. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Maybe others with more experience can speak to this issue.

Dewey
Old 04-04-2006, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

First let me point out that I have never done any powder coating so all I know about it is what I have read. With that out of the way, I have been told there are different grades of powder and that like most things there is good stuff and junk. The cheap powders and "reclaimed powders", whatever that is, can cause just the problems mentioned with the water spotting and rust but the good powder done properly is a lot tougher than most paints and water spots and rust should never be a problem.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
After you coated the brackets chrome, did you have to put on a coat of clear?
Brad,

The brackets shown in the initial post do not have a clear coat. Eastwood sells two types of chrome, one requires clear coating and the other (which is recommended by Eastwood for car parts) is a one-coat deal - which I used. The manifold shown in my later post is coated with clear directly over the polished aluminum - just to give you idea of how it might look.

As I experiment around with the coater I'll try putting clear over the one-step chrome just to see what it looks like. Maybe some of the other coaters on board have already done this and can post a picture of two of their results. My impression from the manifold is that the clear gives a "slick" look but I don't think it will increase the reflectivity or "brightness" if applied over the chrome powder. In fact, the clear actually dulls the polished aluminum a bit and blurs the reflections (as you might be able to tell from the side by side pics above).

Again, these are just the observations of a total rookie so I completely defer to those on the forum with more coating experience.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:52 PM

Although I picked up an Eastwood gun if I had to do it over again I would consider a Chicago Electric gun as it has a foot pedal which frees up a hand.

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/1024...5erfrg5467.htm

I usually get my powder from the same person. Anybody have a recommendation for powder in Canada>
Old 04-04-2006, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike951
Although I picked up an Eastwood gun if I had to do it over again I would consider a Chicago Electric gun as it has a foot pedal which frees up a hand.
I agree that it's a bit awkward to have the gun in one hand and the activator switch in the other, but I would think a foot switch might have it's own drawbacks. Just from doing the two batches I've done so far I know I had to move all around the parts to get the powder fairly even and make sure it was getting in all the nooks and crannies. Seems like you'd have to be dragging that foot switch all around with you as you move around to do the painting.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.