first car - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 04:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thats what i'd been told.I figure I will just sell it and use the cash towards a more mild setup.From what I've read tunnel ram is geared more for top-end power?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 02:15 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Probably not an option but I'd go looking for a cheap beater to drive and keep the Falcon as is and period correct but make it your own. Looks like a fun car to cruise in. Maybe hit some nostalga drags.
You won't see another like it I'm sure.

A tunnel rammed small block isn't that bad with the right cooling system, big block is another story. A milder cam and small carbs would help streetability, but without specs we're just guessing. Being in storage that long it's probably a high compression engine as well, so gas octane could be a serious issue.

But even if you go back to a more normal set up. It'll still be a sweet ride.
You did good.
Front axle, if it's a round tube it was probably hand built or something like a Bell. Econoline I'm pretty sure was all I beams. So a good welding shop could probably straighten it.
If not check the web under street rod parts, a straight bare axle is fairly cheap since you have all the other parts already.

I'd hate to see you take it back to a simple original style car, looks like a lot of work was put into making it what it is. The stance is awesome. Looks like something I would have raced against 25 years ago. I'm partial to Dual quads.

Keep us posted. MORE PICS!

ps, looking over the pics it looked like the axle may be bent down in the center. Take a pic of that and post it, it's possible it was done that way on purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine1 001.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	12862  
Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I'm really sorry to hear....

You picked a FORD??? Better luck next time Dude....Everone has to go through that phase, you too will out grow it. LOL Just kidding of course!!!

Tazz
Old 06-21-2006, 03:47 PM

"I'd hate to see you take it back to a simple original style car, looks like a lot of work was put into making it what it is."

I agree and I want to do right by the car,being as period correct as possible.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

This is what I would do...take it for what you will...

I would tone the cam/tunnel ram down with something kinda "boring" that said I would keep the gear you got, wrap it in saran wrap with a pack of dissectant in it and set it on the shelf for a few years. it aint going to be a daily driver forever.... once it gets pulled off of daily duty, put the cool stuff back on...
Old 06-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chach
"I'd hate to see you take it back to a simple original style car, looks like a lot of work was put into making it what it is."

I agree and I want to do right by the car,being as period correct as possible.
I totally agree with that- that's a cool Falcon you got there.
Get a beater honda for a daily driver and keep the Falcon period correct for the weekend cruises.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:10 PM

I will try and get some shots of that axle.Hope its fixable.

thanks for the help and patience everyone.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

I agree with camarofiend on this one, I saw a elantra round the block with 110K on the clock (looked nice, interior was clean) needed a clutch for $500, that would actually be cheaper than putting boring equipment on your ride....
Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

I think it's kind of cool. You did good buying the car.

I have to echo the other's advice on loosing the tunnel ram, 2x4 set up, and lumpy cam for now.

Those things will eat you alive in gas and unless you have a safe place to keep the car when not in use you may find parts missing from the midnight auto sales guys.

Myself I wouldn't want the car setting infront of Wal-Mart while I was inside. I mean I wouldn't let it out of my sight.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM

Ok,I dont have any new pics but I did get my hands dirty I'm sure yall remember that first timer's feeling...better than sex (so I guess)
Old 06-29-2006, 04:55 PM

Last journal entry: more pics of my '41 Plymouth
Last photo:

1st car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chach
If you dont already know from my first post;names J.B. i'm 16 from orange CA.I'v been on the hunt for a project car with the hope of having it on the road before summer's end.Well,the hunts over (now comes the hunt for parts ) and i'm ready to begin work on my 64 ford falcon!

My aim...I want to have power but nothing too out there.I really dig that gasser look but would like to tone it down a bit.

Some questions... straight axle is bent (yea,sounds funny).I want to replace it with another but dont know what type,brand,size to go for?

What sort of problems did the falcon have what would you replace/swap on it?

Is this considerd a light car? I like it because of its size but didn't know about weight.

Interchangeable parts?

Thats about it.I will try to snap some pics this week.Thanks
I'm sure I could speak for most of adults with a teenage driver in the house, buy something you can handle for your first street car even if it's not what you want. But I'll agree with keeping the Falcon for later use.
My 1st car was a '67 Chevelle 6cyl.3sp.that "I" paid $100 for, it wasn't what I wanted(I wanted a '70 Roadrunner Superbird) and I think I knew enough & could handle cars pretty good by age 16 because I was driving cars around the mountain & in fields since I was 9yrs old & helped my dad tear apart & fix cars he had.
Not saying you can't handle something like the Falcon(I don't know your background) BUT "MOST" 16yr olds or beginning drivers only learned from a book & it does take experience to be a good driver, much less in a "fast"car.
I'm glad to see you aren't looking to have a tuner/riceburner & too loud music, but they are car people too just of a different time. And I'm glad to see & help young people get into hotrodding/streetrodding/cars.
I'm not saying all young drivers aren't good drivers because anyone can have a bad incident,and I thought my kid was a real good driver.......BUT....there are too many young drivers that don't know *****.

I'm sorry everone for getting carried away on a different subject, but I hope this gives everyone something to think about.......young drivers & fast cars PLEASE BE CAREFULL!!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:43 PM

Good point free rider, don't get hurt or worse on your first ride. And that car will have its own special ride caracterstics that will be completly new to anyone novice or advanced driving skills. So tame it down getused to it then add whatever power you want and grow with it. Theres nothing more terrifying that you've driven into a situation thats way over your head, and no clue how to get out of it in a car your not used to. you can do a lot of growing with that totally cool ride. I've been driving for 40 years and I would be very cautious if I climbed into that car as its not like anything I have driven in about 30 years. dig? Be cool, and be safe and have a really good time!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:04 PM

On a late note, my son 13but turning 14 july 5, just purchased his first car, 1980 mustang for 100 bucks. Needs T.L.C. And he's already trying to talk me out out of my F.I. 351 for it. He gets his learners permit next year, so guess what, he'll have to put up with the stock 250 inline six < yes you read right, fooled me and a bunch of others too> and when he gets good enough to my thinking, then we'll rebuild my tired 5.0 and put it in, and maybe by graduation we'll talk about that tired smoking 406/351 he doesn't even realize thats what it is. Young rodders need to get their hands on, not daddy's money in so they can appreciate what they have, and its limitations too.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
A lot of the Mustang parts will interchange, a 289 or 302 would be a good choice for a streetable engine. They are a fairly light car, my guess would be around 2900 lbs. My sis had a 64 or 65 Sprint when we were growning up, 260, 4 speed, a fun car. I had a 64 Merc cyclone, had a blast with that car, had to be my favorite as a youngun. 289, 271 horse, 4 speed, lotsa fun. Dan

Wow, you had a 64 Cyclone with a 289 HIPO..... what year was that, and what did the engine come out of? HIPO was not available in 64 Cyclone. Mine was a "D" code 4 bbl. but Mercury only used the serial number "K" that one year only for the 4 bbl engine. Triple black 4 gear with the fakey wheel covers... wish I had it right now.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:20 AM
big Q

Last photo:

dont listen to this hillbillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
some advice, get rid of that tunnel ram in favor of a single 4bbl intake, bolt 1 of the holly's to it, get rid of the big cam in favor of a mild cam, and then it will be quite a nice driver with a good low end, the way it is, I cannot say for shure cause I don't have cam specs, only that it is a rumpity rump cam, it will make power from 3,500-7,000 or so, where u need power at 2k for street driving.
do what you want to do with it my first thing i would do is get some power brakes seeing that you got the old drums setup with just the m/c what good is it to go fast if you cant stop it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	355%20blower%2070%20gmc.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	13082  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.