first car - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by problem solvers
On a late note, my son 13but turning 14 july 5, just purchased his first car, 1980 mustang for 100 bucks. Needs T.L.C. And he's already trying to talk me out out of my F.I. 351 for it. He gets his learners permit next year, so guess what, he'll have to put up with the stock 250 inline six < yes you read right, fooled me and a bunch of others too> and when he gets good enough to my thinking, then we'll rebuild my tired 5.0 and put it in, and maybe by graduation we'll talk about that tired smoking 406/351 he doesn't even realize thats what it is. Young rodders need to get their hands on, not daddy's money in so they can appreciate what they have, and its limitations too.
it would have had a 200 in it originally, 250 was probably put in after. go to www.fordsix.com for idea's, you can build it up with aftermarket parts, sound like a V8 with a set of headders, but still be safe enough for a 14 year old, you could pull a respectable 250 horse with that N/A closer to 350 if ya turbocharged it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2006, 09:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I see where everyone is comming from.I'm 16 and have no driving experience.But its a bit too late now...
Old 07-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Wow, you had a 64 Cyclone with a 289 HIPO..... what year was that, and what did the engine come out of? HIPO was not available in 64 Cyclone. Mine was a "D" code 4 bbl. but Mercury only used the serial number "K" that one year only for the 4 bbl engine. Triple black 4 gear with the fakey wheel covers... wish I had it right now.
Now you've got me wondering. I did a google on this and you're right. Now I'm wondering if the guy that owned the car slapped some valve covers and aircleaner on it just to fool folks. I worked on this car when I was about 14, about 1966, worked parttime in a bodyshop, the car came in, front smashed, just sheet metal damage. It had all the 289/271 markings then. We had to use something off a 65 for repairs, can't remember right now, but I bought the same car the summer I graduated. It was a blast, I still would like to have another. There's been a few at the drags that get me drooling. Chach, have fun with the car, it has such a cool factor that you don't have to go fast to look good.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Now you've got me wondering. I did a google on this and you're right. Now I'm wondering if the guy that owned the car slapped some valve covers and aircleaner on it just to fool folks. I worked on this car when I was about 14, about 1966, worked parttime in a bodyshop, the car came in, front smashed, just sheet metal damage. It had all the 289/271 markings then. We had to use something off a 65 for repairs, can't remember right now, but I bought the same car the summer I graduated. It was a blast, I still would like to have another. There's been a few at the drags that get me drooling. Chach, have fun with the car, it has such a cool factor that you don't have to go fast to look good.

Maybe he picked up the HIPO stickers at the parts department.

The '64 ("D" low compression 4 bbl.) K code Cyclone had the chrome valve covers and chrome air filter on it as part of the factory Cyclone package. The true K-HIPO on the other Fords did not.

The true K-HIPO identification was the non-vacuum advance distributor, solid lifters, and the exhaust manifolds, (and carb type).

I don't think that Ford admits to having ever assembled a true K-HIPO '64 Cyclone, but I did see an article on one '64 Canadian true K-HIPO post car.

Ah, the ones that got away.

www.readershotrods.com
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 PM

Wow...I've learned alot sense my first post

I don't have any pics of her with the new intake or exhaust,hope you dont mind...Thought you guys would like to see what i've been up to

She runs now!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...e/fa6c986f.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture041.jpg

I didn't like how the headers looked,so I spiced them up a bit.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture045.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture034.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture044.jpg

A drilled I-beam may be in store.I'm jacking the front end up a bit aswell.I was surprised at the engines condition.Must have been rebuilt not too long ago,very clean...The tranny on the other hand...

I wish I had some newer pics..The car has changed alot

Hope you all like.Thanks for your help
Old 09-26-2006, 10:29 PM

first car

are those the same headers? looks like you got the dents out. how did you manage that? You have inspired me to my youth when both round nosed and second generation falcons were a'plenty. Incidentally my son has spotted a 65 sprint thats gutted- if the price is right it will be perfect to start again what I had in a 61 round nose, very similar to what you have there. Keep me posted and if I score the 65 I'll take a bunch of as-is and progress pics like you have. I hope you don't mind, but I have printed each photo you've posted. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:36 AM

Thanks alot man...Same headers, a few new sections welded in...I'm hoping to get a few new shots of her this week.I cant wait to switch out them front wheels and tires.I think a set of wide whites would look good on the front.

Good luck with the falcon,hopefully they gunna let it go at a fair price.I've seen some running early 60's falcons for no more than 400$...They are out there!

Print all you like,I dont mind.In fact i'm flattered

I hope to further document the progression of this car.I've got big plans for her

Thanks for the kind words...Have a good one

JB

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.