First carpet job... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

First carpet job...

Morning sportfans, newbie Bruce here with my first interior project. I have a 83 Porsche 928, these cars pretty interesting and are pretty cheap to buy. The engine work is done and I thought this would be good project for me to get started with learning to do some light trim work. I'm not really thrilled with the interior colors but will stay with them for this first project.

I have a budget sewing machine (Tacsew) and have been practicing with it. I want to start with the carpet bc I think it might be the easiest. The carpet is a little different than most US cars, its not formed but just flat pieces that are bound and tucked under panels and seats to keep it in place.
The construction appears to be cut pile sewn with a binding strip to some rubber dimpled material. The question is where can I get the dimpled material?

Also, glad to hear any other suggestions/comments...;]

Here's some general pics (if I can the the upload to work)... Bruce

PS... my basic plan is to a minimal refesh, new carpet, repair the seat and a general once-over with some dye. The dash is going to need some attention too, while I have the windshield out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04242[1].JPG
Views:	20
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	65166   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04255[1].JPG
Views:	22
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	65167  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You can use anything you want for carpet padding, there are a ton of choices, and the original stuff will probably be hard to find. Here are a couple good choices: CLICK HERE

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Ha, thanks Dan... actually I did buy some jute padding from that webstore - I got the jute about a month ago bc I read that it was considered the best against mold. I guess I'l just do the binding and then glue the padding to the carpet. I don't care (too) much about originality.

I was looking last night for carpeting, I ordered a 2.5 yard x 60" kit. I didn'te even know there were "kits." Sure hope that is enough. I don't really know much about this place http://www.automotiveinteriors.com so fingers crossed. I would have gone back to YourAutoTrim but they didn't have my color.

Once I get that, I guess I'l just start by laying out the old pieces as patterns. Is there any real prep work that I should do to the car? I've vacuumed it out but the sound deadener still looks dirty.

Another thing I need is the rubber sheet like material used as a foot rest or directly under the driver's feet. I haven't found that anywhere and the books that I have don't seem to address how to assemble that. Is it sewn over the surface of the carpet or is there some trick? Thanks and any tips are appreciated...Bruce
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

2.5 yards is plenty to do your car. The heel pad your talking about is sewn onto the carpet. If you use the old pieces as a pattern, make sure you do it all right side up, cut the pieces bigger, and trim away the excess. You can always make it smaller, but making it bigger is tough.

The only prep work is to clean the floor and get any sound deadener installed, and the padding laid down. This is an easy job, especially in your car. You won't have any problems, it's basically common sense.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 AM

Last photo:

I've had a few Porsches re-carpeted and we allways salvaged the dimpled rubber stuff and sewed it to the new carpet as it is a sound deadener from the factory.

Plus it's free.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.