First engine build. 383? 355? Want 350-400hp. What do you do? - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #106 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 AM
BigEd36's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auburn, IN
Age: 65
Posts: 386
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Stingroo, the Speedpro pistons have a 1.548" "rebuilder" compression height instead of the standard 1.560 compression height for a 350 piston. To keep your quench height at .040" you'll have to have your block decked, and probably have to run a shim head gasket. The factory spec has pistons nominally .025" below the deck surface at top dead center, add the .012" that the shorter pistons have gives you .037" "in the hole". The thinnest head gasket I know of is .015", which would give you a quench height of .052", which isn't very good. With flat top pistons and your 64cc Vortec heads your static compression ratio will be around 10:1 - 10.2:1, which is pretty high for iron heads on pump gasoline. For detonation resistance you'll want to keep the quench tight.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #107 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Fstarocka's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 59
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Combo 53 uses rebuilt #993 GM heads with 2.02/1.60 in. valves. The camshaft is a healthy grind, with 234° of duration @ 0.050 in. of lift. This 355 cu. in. engine produces 421 HP and 438 ft-lbs of torque.
Displacement: 355 cu. in.
Carburetor: 750 Holley vacuum secondary
Heads: GM #993 castings, ported, with 2.02/1.60 in. valves and a 3-angle valve job
Intake: Edelbrock Victor Jr. and a 2 in. open-plenum spacer
Camshaft: Cam Dynamics 290, with 290° of duration, 234° of duration @ 0.050 in. lift, and 0.494 in. of lift
Headers: 1 7/8 in.
Pistons: Speed-Pro forged flat tops
Rods: stock
Crank: cast
Comp. Ratio: 9.0:1 to 10.0:1

MAX HP: 421 @ 5300
MAX Torque: 438 @ 4700
Theres something to look at - I havent compared all your parts, but have a look at the NA parts link i sent, and select the hyperteutic pistons, and look at some of those cams there - the elgin grinds are old school but Ive heard of many ppl making serious power with them. The Comp Thumpr #12-600-4 looks like u might like it, the 107 lsa will give a serious romp-romp idle, but cost a little bit of economy..

I would spend MORE money of good machine work, decking the block AFTER you have selected pistons, etc and look at this kit as an example. NA might have a smaller package as well, not sure - but buying the kit does save u some $$.

That intake can be had new for $134 fromm their site - with warranty. Its chinese knock off stuff, never tried / can comment but I have heard some horror stories about uneven flow, holes not lining up / cheap alloy uses resulting in warping etc.. might consider an edelbrock. I found a 2116 for $100 2 week ago.. anyway can always replace that later. Just thought id mention it..

You could aways look for a used HEI - I always believe in oem quality -
also bear in mind peak hp / torque fall within a rpm range, and u have to ask your self how much time will u realistically spend there? focus your power on where YOU will be driving the most, not peak numbers.

You might drop 50 off the numbers, but will pull away quicker

just my 2 cents - i dont want to throw a spanner in the works - but it took me about 2 years of slow research to gather ALOT of info, and still made some minor mistakes

Last edited by Fstarocka; 05-10-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #108 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
Theres something to look at - I havent compared all your parts, but have a look at the NA parts link i sent, and select the hyperteutic pistons, and look at some of those cams there - the elgin grinds are old school but Ive heard of many ppl making serious power with them. The Comp Thumpr #12-600-4 looks like u might like it, the 107 lsa will give a serious romp-romp idle, but cost a little bit of economy..

I would spend MORE money of good machine work, decking the block AFTER you have selected pistons, etc and look at this kit as an example. NA might have a smaller package as well, not sure - but buying the kit does save u some $$.

That intake can be had new for $134 fromm their site - with warranty. Its chinese knock off stuff, never tried / can comment but I have heard some horror stories about uneven flow, holes not lining up / cheap alloy uses resulting in warping etc.. might consider an edelbrock. I found a 2116 for $100 2 week ago.. anyway can always replace that later. Just thought id mention it..

You could aways look for a used HEI - I always believe in oem quality -
also bear in mind peak hp / torque fall within a rpm range, and u have to ask your self how much time will u realistically spend there? focus your power on where YOU will be driving the most, not peak numbers.

You might drop 50 off the numbers, but will pull away quicker

just my 2 cents - i dont want to throw a spanner in the works - but it took me about 2 years of slow research to gather ALOT of info, and still made some minor mistakes
No no, it's totally appreciated. I had no idea that Northern Auto even existed. I just kind of assumed Summit and the like was 'the place' to go for this type of thing.

If anything, you're saving me cash and helping me figure it out faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #109 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Fstarocka's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 59
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
to quote techinspector1:

Quote:
I have a DynoSim pull on file, 350 bored 0.030", these pistons
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-17350-30/
garden variety GM 883 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 600 cfm carb, 1 5/8" long tube headers and this cam
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...x?csid=85&sb=0
Cut the block decks to 9.012" block deck height and use GM 10105117 head gaskets. Makes 380 hp @5000 rpm's and 430 ft/lbs of torque at 4000. Nice, cheap little street motor that will run on pump gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #110 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So here's the kit I bought from them....

I went with a new crank and balancing - figuring it's only a few more bucks, but it should pay off in the end, right?

It brings my total cost up to $1821, but that should cut machine shop costs (no polishing or balancing of crank...) so it's probably a wash. That's an awesome site!


Even found a 5% off coupon code, which basically makes shipping free. Awesome.

Here's what I picked:


Last edited by Stingroo; 05-10-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #111 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
to quote techinspector1:



Well damn. That's pretty much spot on for what I want. LOL And I have better heads, so... I should be good with my goals. Sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #112 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Fstarocka's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 59
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
man looks like youve made a gr8 purchase there. those scat cranks are gr8, overkill on the rods haha, stockers will take 400 any time and day.. ditch the high vol oil pump, can suck a stock oil pan dry, only for use in race applications with a deep pan. What cam did u get? there were some gr8 cam options on that list for you..

glad to have been a help so far. there are very experienced ppl here - you should have a stout motor with that bottom end!


Once you have the pistons check with some ppl here (perhaps a new thread) about deck height with your setup and have the block decked (if necessary) - this will allow higher compression and better power / delivery (quench is your friend).. but thats next steps -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #113 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Stroker 351 W Ford Motor=Building
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: spokane ,Wa
Posts: 40
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rebuilding =383

For the $$ you have ?= id only do a SCAT forged 383 setup-can be had for under 900 bux -new & forged rotating assembly!! Bore =.030 over & find a set of chev fulie hrads= here in my area redone & ready for install-350-400 bux.bore & machine /hone & piston fits about 200 bux here- so u have now 1500 in a new assm-add gasket sets & intake & carb=?? 2 grand & all new & wonderful!! some will say thats way too cheap yet i have 2 here ive done same ways -i know !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #114 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Fstarocka's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 59
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpilot001 View Post
For the $$ you have ?= id only do a SCAT forged 383 setup-can be had for under 900 bux -new & forged rotating assembly!! Bore =.030 over & find a set of chev fulie hrads= here in my area redone & ready for install-350-400 bux.bore & machine /hone & piston fits about 200 bux here- so u have now 1500 in a new assm-add gasket sets & intake & carb=?? 2 grand & all new & wonderful!! some will say thats way too cheap yet i have 2 here ive done same ways -i know !

true that, but a 383 for a 1st timers1st build might be a bit complicating given all the varying geometry of a 383, rod lengths, etc - gr8 suggestion as well for the $$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #115 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 02:11 PM
BigEd36's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auburn, IN
Age: 65
Posts: 386
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
You'll be happy with the service from Northern Autoparts too. When I've ordered from them it's always either shipped the same day I ordered it or the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #116 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
man looks like youve made a gr8 purchase there. those scat cranks are gr8, overkill on the rods haha, stockers will take 400 any time and day.. ditch the high vol oil pump, can suck a stock oil pan dry, only for use in race applications with a deep pan. What cam did u get? there were some gr8 cam options on that list for you..

glad to have been a help so far. there are very experienced ppl here - you should have a stout motor with that bottom end!


Once you have the pistons check with some ppl here (perhaps a new thread) about deck height with your setup and have the block decked (if necessary) - this will allow higher compression and better power / delivery (quench is your friend).. but thats next steps -

Haven't ordered yet! I just clicked a set of rods that were cheapest because it says you have to order rods for them to balance the assembly. I figure, that'll save money at the machine shop, too.

Just adding to cart. I've got like ~500 saved toward this all (after buying those heads, after all...). It's just going to my savings a hundred a week, plus income from my side job.

It's gonna have to be sooner than later, though. Just changed the oil on my wagon and found some shavings in it. Joy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #117 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toledo, N.W.Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,224
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 127 Times in 124 Posts
. Those SpeedPro 345 pistons Silver Surfer suggested and on the Northern sheet are the same ones we discarded earlier because there were complaints on them not actually having the compression height spec'd... like BigEd36 also said above... and because the guy was getting damaged ones that others had already pry'd back off their rods and sent back when they discovered the compression height was wrong... that's why Eric and I suggested the KB claimer pistons with higher compression height than all others... they also eliminated the cost/need/hassle of decking the block to get proper engine quench...

. Don't know if the Summit pistons someone suggested live up to their C.H. spec.s or not, although lower than the KB's even if they do... but the price is tempting...

. The cam in Fstarocka's "Combo 53" (apparently from Ryan's Car Pages) above has a 234/234 cam... too big for your heavy car... I'd stick with the smallest Thumpr cam as very biggest to consider... (Like to know where he found Ryan's site mirror'd at, haven't been able to find them lately, they show a combo with 350", vortec heads, mild 214/224 generic cam at 380HP) ... If can live without a Thumpr cam, a Melling or Summit 214/224 cam would serve you very well (that size cam available under about 20 different brand names, including flat or roller ones from GM)...

. As long as still looking at parts sources, also check out:

ENGINEKITS.COMŽ - OE Stock and High Performance Engine Parts 661-861-0167

JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS (similar to Summit, shipping may be more)

. Use old crank and rods, keep new pistons at same weight as old ones, and you won't need to re-balance at this performance level...

. Will a taller distributor fit in there? (In the car?)

. SCAT cast cranks made in China, forged ones made in USA...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 05-15-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #118 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Fstarocka's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 173
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 59
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I found JUST that combo posted, but yes I do have a copy of ryans combos here, not sure how to share it without it being lost..

attached a zip and inside is the xls file, this shd be a sticky
Attached Files
File Type: zip Chevy build Combos.zip (18.1 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #119 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstarocka View Post
I found JUST that combo posted, but yes I do have a copy of ryans combos here, not sure how to share it without it being lost..

attached a zip and inside is the xls file, this shd be a sticky
I'm about to get off work. I'll make it shareable as soon as I get home and open the zip.

His numbers sound like... exactly what I want.

Not what my 700R4 wants, but what I want. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #120 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 PM
BigEd36's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auburn, IN
Age: 65
Posts: 386
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Here's the link to Ryan's combos on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine website from July 28, 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130728...m/combos1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my first real full engine build(350/383) levi1030 Engine 4 05-06-2014 01:35 PM
wanting to build a 350 close to 400hp for under $2000 Danny1986 Hotrodding Basics 16 02-20-2011 07:29 PM
wanting to build 355 or 383 need suggestions WHITExTRASH Hotrodding Basics 11 12-22-2010 06:18 PM
AMC ENGINE BUILD UP - need supercharged 400hp+... erkii Engine 5 08-25-2010 07:13 PM
build me a 400hp 350 F3RR3T Engine 16 09-06-2007 05:26 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.