Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First engine build - would a roller cam be a better choice?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 06:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

First engine build - would a roller cam be a better choice?

This may be a dumb question, but here goes... I'm building my first engine. It's a 383 (it was a 350 stored for ten years) with new forged pistons, stock-resized rods, new cast steel crank, rebuilt O41 heads, and a Summit .224/.234 .468/.488cam. Although it would take me out of my "budget build" mode, is there any benefit in putting in a retro-fit roller cam assembly?

It seems like so many people I hear from who have a problem following a rebuild have problems with wiping lobes on the flat tappet hydraulic camshafts. As a rookie, it seems that you want to turn the motor as few revolutions as possible when rebuilding and then starting the motor so you don't clear off any of the assembly lube/grease. As a beginner, I can see me turning the motor over so many times to get the proper valve lash, etc. set up because I won't trust my first attempt.

Anyway, it almost seems that a roller camshaft in spite of cost would make the rebuild a lot more trouble-free. I appreciate any input from you rebuild-veterans out there. Thanks!