Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - first engine swap, help!
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood85
i was having trouble with the starter on my 84 3/4 ton chevy's 350. after much frustration and asking around, turns out that i messed thy fly wheel up by not shimming it soon enough after i knew it was having problems. oh well, you live and learn...
i found out about an 87 1/2 ton suburban with a 350/700r4 combo, for only $200! i bought it yesterday and have to go see if i can get it running today, its been sitting for a year or so. i'll get it home one way or the other.
i want to know what its gonna take to get my 350/400 turbo out of my truck and put the 350/700r4 from the suburban back in. i would just swap the tranny's out, if i didn't have a 4 bolt main that i wanted for a hot rod, in my truck.
enough rambling, whats it gonna take to put the 350 with a throttle body into a carb truck? or maybe change the throttle body to a carb motor? then what will i have to do to make the overdrive on the trans work? any advice would help.
thanks
ryan
You need the computer, harness, all the sensors, and the electric in-tank fuel pumps, at a minimum. Understanding problems with the TBI system also requires the Check Engine light and the ALDL connector, so you will likely need to swap the gauge cluster and dash harness also. This swap is not impossible, but start by getting the Chassis Service Manual and Wiring Diagrams for the 87 truck.