First full car repaint. Lots of questions. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

First full car repaint. Lots of questions.

Hello forum,
Iíve been a long time lurker here and picked up a number of great tips over the past couple of years. Iím now digging into my first complete car repaint.
The car is an 80 Cutlass that has one minor rust spot in the quarter that Iím currently repairing. The remainder of the car has surface rust where the original trim was attached but nothing major. What I do have to deal with is a number of small dents where the car has been dinged up here and there. Thereís really not a panel on the car that doesnít need some kind of work. Iíve also pulled off most of the trim so I have a mix of holes to fill and studs to grind down.
After looking at dozens of semi-gloss black cars Iíve decided that Iím going to go with SEM Hot Rod Black. I like the look and from what everyone is telling me itís a pretty easy product to shoot and make look decent for a novice like myself.
Here are my questions. Please be specific in your answers as I havenít a clue when selecting materials.

1) Iím taking most of the panels to bare metal to do the metal and filler work so Iíll need an etching primer. SEM sells their own but I canít find anyone with experience using it? Should I buy their stuff or use something else? If so what else?

2) Iím guessing that high build primer is also going to be needed. SEM has their own again but it comes in spray cans only. Iíd like to use something that can be shot out of a gun. What are your recommendations for a decent high build?

3) Do I need to shoot anything over the high build after final blocking? A sealer, standard primer maybe.

4) Last question. I have a Harbor Freight 43430 gun and a small compressor that Iíve used to prime fenders etc. My compressor wonít keep up with painting an entire car. How much compressor do I really need? Are there any $250 compressors out there that can provide the required flow?
Thanks everyone. I hope these arenít too many questions for a first post.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM

1/2. I've used SEM self etch often for small panels, but not over an entire vehicle - you really want to use a gun for that. Honestly, use an epoxy primer - since you're already using the HR010, try SEM ML010 - it's essentially a high-build and etch in one.

3. Depends on the grit of sandpaper you're using to block out the car. I always recommend sealing, but then again I don't buy my own materials, lol. Transtar is pretty cheap, found this after a quick search, but there could be cheaper out there.

4. Depends on the CFM of the gun - I would check the big box stores on this one.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell37
Hello forum,
Iíve been a long time lurker here and picked up a number of great tips over the past couple of years. Iím now digging into my first complete car repaint.
The car is an 80 Cutlass that has one minor rust spot in the quarter that Iím currently repairing. The remainder of the car has surface rust where the original trim was attached but nothing major. What I do have to deal with is a number of small dents where the car has been dinged up here and there. Thereís really not a panel on the car that doesnít need some kind of work. Iíve also pulled off most of the trim so I have a mix of holes to fill and studs to grind down.
After looking at dozens of semi-gloss black cars Iíve decided that Iím going to go with SEM Hot Rod Black. I like the look and from what everyone is telling me itís a pretty easy product to shoot and make look decent for a novice like myself.
Here are my questions. Please be specific in your answers as I havenít a clue when selecting materials.

1) Iím taking most of the panels to bare metal to do the metal and filler work so Iíll need an etching primer. SEM sells their own but I canít find anyone with experience using it? Should I buy their stuff or use something else? If so what else?

2) Iím guessing that high build primer is also going to be needed. SEM has their own again but it comes in spray cans only. Iíd like to use something that can be shot out of a gun. What are your recommendations for a decent high build?

3) Do I need to shoot anything over the high build after final blocking? A sealer, standard primer maybe.

4) Last question. I have a Harbor Freight 43430 gun and a small compressor that Iíve used to prime fenders etc. My compressor wonít keep up with painting an entire car. How much compressor do I really need? Are there any $250 compressors out there that can provide the required flow?
1/2 You might check Sherwin Williams auto paints, they have everything you would need for refinishing. I used their products when I worked at one shop a few years ago and if I remember right, their primer surfacer can be sprayed over bare metal. I have had good results with their paint system. Also, I agree with Aaron, you don't want to use rattle can primers. The only time I would use them is on very small repairs.

3 If you are able to block your primer down without cutting through, I don't think a sealer is necessary. The more coats you put on, the more orange peel and more potenetial for trash.

4 I would not use a Harbor Freight gun for anything but primer and I don't really recommend that because the pattern is small and uneven. Atleast that is my experience with spray guns from Harbor Freight. You get what you pay for. If you don't mind spending a little more, look on E-bay for a good used HVLP Sata Jet and ONLY use that for basecoat/clearcoat. Ideally you would want one gun for solids, one for mettalics, and one for clearcoat. That can get expensive and unless you plan on painting a lot of cars it's almost unnecesary. Just be sure your gun is VERY clean when you're ready for clearcoat.

I don't have a good answer for the size compressor you will need except; what ever gun you use, try and find out flow rate/hour and compare that to your compressor if it can keep up with that volume with atleast 100 psig in the tank. What size tank are you using anyway? The last think you want is 10 psig half way through. Since you are just painting one color and nothing special like a fade or something that requires the car to be painted all assembled you might try painting the doors, hood, fenders and deck lid separate but I always paint them how they sit on the vehicle. This miay be a way to keep you from having to spend a lot of money to buy a huge compressor.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

@ Cary. Those are very good tips. We lurkers thank you.

andy
Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

FWIW I painted mine with a Craftsman 6hp 33 gal compressor. It puts out about 9.6cfm @ 40psi. I paid 150 bucks for a very clean used one on Craigslist. That was a good deal. I normally saw them going for 225.00 - 350.00. This worked great for my few year old HVLP gun I got from Costco. I've heard it is made by DeBilviss. But I can't confirm that as I lost the paperwork for it and it has no markings. I bought that 3 gun set for TCP global. I was not happy with the way it was spraying so I switched to try my Costco gun and was much happier with it. I'm looking to invest into a better gun.

Try looking at the Matrix line of paint. I'm no expert. But for a first time painter I had great results. And it was affordable. If you are in So.Cal, try Save on Supplies in Garden grove. I think he's in Garden Grove. He's got two stores in Orange County. Ask for Jorge aka George. Tell him his brothers friend Scott sent you. He's a great guy and will give you solid advice. He also has great prices and a very well run store.

Read everything you can and watch a lot of videos from the pros on YouTube. That helped me a lot! I'll let the experts here give you more detailed advice. Best of luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM

I will agree with localboy about using Matrix. I have used it for a few years with no problems. I have heard of other shops having issues with that system but I cannot say for sure, I have never seen any problems. My buddy who I used to work with who now owns his own shop swears by Matrix. I liked Sherwin Williams a little better but you may get better prices with matrix. I have never really priced the paints for myself, I was just told to spray it.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell37

Epoxy to bare metal outperforms etch primer in every regard. Two words is all that's needed for this answer: Southern Polyurethanes. One of the best and most affordable epoxies out there, and 7 day a week tech support from the owner. If you're working on your car and you have a question, you call Barry, problem solved.

Quote:
If it comes in a can it's barely anything, let alone build. If you want high build, another two words: Southern Polyurethanes. Get their 2k. Did I mention they ship free?

Quote:
If you are using the SPI line (most people on this forum do) the epoxy can also work as a sealer. Some people say it's necessary, though Barry might tell you not necessarily. You get a mixed bag of answers on this.

Quote:
When it comes to a compressor the thing you care most about is rated CFM. Ideally to keep up with an HVLP gun you'd want at least 11-13 CFM. They'll spray on less than that as you know, but it won't be giving you as good as a job.

I'm also a hobbyist, like yourself.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.