First hot rod, Which front end to use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First hot rod, Which front end to use?

Okey doke, I've been drooling over everyone's hot-rods for years now and decided i want to have a go at making my own.

I'm haggling a 302 Windsor off my big brother, and we have a leaf spring 9inch and most of the other miscellaneous parts i can get off the cars laying around our house. Im going to use an old international truck body, and maybe model A front mudguards depending on how it looks.

All that's stopping me starting my chassis is what front end I'm going to use, i want it to handle relativity well so ive been thinking about an l300 set up, I've seen a couple of builds using them and it seems pretty straight forward Id be able to get one fairly cheap as-well. im in Australia so that seems to be the only readily available front end i can think of?.

Before i go out and buy one, i thought i'd just get some advice on whether its a good idea or not , thanks

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 AM
poncho62's Avatar
Out of the Loop Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hanover, Ontario, Canada
Age: 62
Posts: 16,857
Wiki Edits: 5

Thanks: 20
Thanked 247 Times in 201 Posts
I am sure none of us North Americans know what a I300 is....please explain.....maybe with a pic or 2
__________________
Ontario Rodders

Budget RVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mitsubishi L300, it mustn't be as common over there as i thought they just cut the whole front cross-member out of the van to use.
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4126/dsc02194.jpg
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8209/dsc02261.jpg

they're in nearly every hot rod i've seen so far around here.

hopefully the link worked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,587
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 700
Thanked 885 Times in 752 Posts
Doesn't look too bad for an IFS and I'm sure it works quite well if you use the factory geometry. I might trim off some excess material at the bottom of the spring bucket. It looks a little clunky.

The option would be to use a straight axle front end, such as those offered by Speedway, but the IFS will drive a lot better....
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Street...ont-Axles.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:12 PM
RHOPPER's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Peyton, Colorado
Posts: 17
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another thought courtesy of your country men driving old ford trucks. Jaguar xj6. Complete subframe unbolts from the donor, disk brakes, a arms coil springs and rack and pinion. It's been used for a long time. It's cheap and it's sturdy. I've got one under my F1 pickup and I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 PM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,587
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 700
Thanked 885 Times in 752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOPPER
Here's another thought courtesy of your country men driving old ford trucks. Jaguar xj6. Complete subframe unbolts from the donor, disk brakes, a arms coil springs and rack and pinion. It's been used for a long time. It's cheap and it's sturdy. I've got one under my F1 pickup and I love it.
I recently read about this from another source who claimed it works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hadn't thought of the jag front end, I'll give some of the wreckers around here a ring to see what they've got.
I did want to use the traditional straight beam like you showed me but for the price difference kinda has me going towards the l300 or jag front now.

Also do you know of anyone who has used a bigger truck body that's been narrowed and the roof chopped to use on a hot rod?, I'm having trouble finding any pickup cabs, but i know of lots of old dodge 3 ton trucks and an old international sitting in paddocks, my plan was to narrow one of these to make it a bit smaller ? I want a rat rod kinda look to it so it wouldn't need to be perfectly styled or anything.
http://maltabuses.piwigo.com/uploads...2-aa19897b.jpg kinda like that one
thanks again for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 AM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,587
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 700
Thanked 885 Times in 752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnesy
I hadn't thought of the jag front end, I'll give some of the wreckers around here a ring to see what they've got.
I did want to use the traditional straight beam like you showed me but for the price difference kinda has me going towards the l300 or jag front now.

Also do you know of anyone who has used a bigger truck body that's been narrowed and the roof chopped to use on a hot rod?, I'm having trouble finding any pickup cabs, but i know of lots of old dodge 3 ton trucks and an old international sitting in paddocks, my plan was to narrow one of these to make it a bit smaller ? I want a rat rod kinda look to it so it wouldn't need to be perfectly styled or anything.
I'd be all over one of those cabs. Maybe not cut up one as nice as the old Dodge you linked, but one of that style. I don't see where the body would have to be narrowed, it's the same width as any other truck of that era. The weight rating had to do with the suspension, not any dimensional difference in the width of the cab. I'm 100% against chopping the top because everybody does it. Monkey see, monkey do. I'd prefer to be different and leave it stock height. Looks great, less work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I'd be all over one of those cabs. Maybe not cut up one as nice as the old Dodge you linked, but one of that style. I don't see where the body would have to be narrowed, it's the same width as any other truck of that era. The weight rating had to do with the suspension, not any dimensional difference in the width of the cab. I'm 100% against chopping the top because everybody does it. Monkey see, monkey do. I'd prefer to be different and leave it stock height. Looks great, less work.
Thats interesting, i didn't know that they were about the same size as a normal pickup cab, that should save a bit of work. I don't think I'll chop it either, Im 6 foot 7 and need all the room i can get in a car haha all i gotta do now is get the guy to sell me one for a decent price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Waupaca, WI, USA
Posts: 46
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnesy
Thats interesting, i didn't know that they were about the same size as a normal pickup cab, that should save a bit of work. I don't think I'll chop it either, Im 6 foot 7 and need all the room i can get in a car haha all i gotta do now is get the guy to sell me one for a decent price
You had better try out one of those old Dodge trucks before you decide... they are a little small especially for a guy as tall as you.

Maybe look for a Dodge "Pilothouse" which came on the scene here in '48 and was used until '54... they offer more legroom in a similar size.

The Jag IFS IS a good suspension to work with... lots of guys are finding out.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/f100.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krooser
You had better try out one of those old Dodge trucks before you decide... they are a little small especially for a guy as tall as you.

Maybe look for a Dodge "Pilothouse" which came on the scene here in '48 and was used until '54... they offer more legroom in a similar size.

The Jag IFS IS a good suspension to work with... lots of guys are finding out.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/f100.html
Any old trucks are rare around here, i don't think id have any chance of finding a reasonably priced pilothouse close by , I'll have a fair bit of time to look while i'm building the chassis though so you never know what i might pick up .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:49 PM
86GMC's Avatar
auto/truck/equipment tech.
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Marathon Ont.
Age: 28
Posts: 107
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same for any IH before the L/R series cabs. Have a sit down first to check it out. no shortage of headroom, but can be awkward if you have long legs. My K1 always seems like i have the wheel aginst my chest and legs folded up with the stock seat and wheel. any lower on the seat it would be very uncomfortable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a bit of an update
All of the trucks i knew of, when i went to look at them they were either gone or beyond repair thanks to our constant drizzley weather.

One thing i was able to get is a short wheel base land cruiser with a 302
Windsor in it, its had heavier diffs and a lot of work done to it for only $500.

Witch got me thinking. When i find a cab of some sort it would be pretty cool to use the shorty chassis and make a 4x4 hot rod? that way I'd be able to use a cab after 1949 and not have to much trouble registering it because it would be classified as a modified shorty.

we do have an old international cab like this one that i was thinking of using if i cant find anything else
http://www.kindigit.com/images/39/sms8273.jpg i should have some photos of the actual cab this weekend
Man who would have thought finding a rooted old truck would be so damn hard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
34 Ford chassis w/MII front end - front tires rub heyjude076 General Rodding Tech 4 04-09-2009 07:46 PM
Front frame / Front crossmember blueprints - feedback needed lowROLLERchevy Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 09-20-2008 05:46 PM
making front drum into front disc.....? barbiekiller Suspension - Brakes - Steering 3 05-01-2007 05:57 PM
Front Suspension 53 Ford Front Clip PaulNJ53Ford Suspension - Brakes - Steering 2 08-11-2004 10:12 PM
front end tilt using my all steel front end old c10 head Body - Exterior 5 05-02-2003 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.