Hot Rod Forum banner

First Hotrod

851 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Chevrolet4x4s 
#1 ·
Chevy Transmission/Rear End

Good afternoon to all of the Hotrodder membership. By way of introduction, I am a 63 year old fart who grew up going to dragstrips and thoroughly enjoying it. Recently, 13 years ago, a friend of mine, who owns a 38Chevy coup, began taking me to the NSRA events in Hanover, Pa. and Richmond, VA. where I have observed 3-6,000 street rods. I AM HOOKED. It is my plan to acquire one in 2009, and am doing research now. Based on what I have observed, I like the 32-34 Ford coups and the 37/38 Chevy/Fords. When I buy mine, I plan to obtain on that is approximately 75% of what I would like to have, and from what I have seen, that cost could be $30,000. I would then modify it to my liking for about $10,000, thus having $40,000 for my toy for years to come. My research has taken me to have a small chevy of at least 350 CI. to a large chevy block of no more than 454 CI. I believe I want a 4 speed transmission with an overdrive,,700R 4, or what is now the 4L60. That would provide me with a cruising speed wherevy the noise wouldn't be too bad. My exhaust will be in front of the rear wheels above the running board, so the noise will be greater. What I think I want is the following: a strong engine (400 to 450HP and torque good at 3,000RPM's); a transmission to match the engine (Automatic); a rear end to match the aforementioned (I'm thinking around 323-350). I essentially have NO knowledge regarding the above, only what I think I want. This auto will NOT be a show car as I want to drive it to shows AS WELL AS around my community on weekends whenever I want. I want a BAD sound coming from my headers, which will be street legal. The only way I have been able to communicate the above is through my reading books and magazines and attending the NSRA events, which are great. Should anyone read this posting and wish to reply, May I thank you in advance for your time and knowledge. Cordially, Maverick

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome:

WELCOME to Hotrodders.com :welcome:

As a Moderator here and a lifetime NSRA member ... I believe you are taking the right approach to the Rod thing. Plan ahead and then buy what you want ... not just get caught up in a " heat of passion " buy and end up with something you did not really want. :mad:

With the OD transmission ... they are generally in the 30 pent cent reduction range ... so a 4.10 gear is actually 2.90 when in overdrive. You need to match the cruise RPM of the engine/camshaft to the final gear ratio for the best mileage and performance. Tire diameter also affects the overall drive ratio.

Small Block Chevrolet engines are a lot easier to cool than the Big Block engines ... especially in small, tight confined engine bays. I would suggest a Chevrolet crate engine ... the Fast Burn 385 is a good engine with a decent sound. You can easily upgrade it to 430 horsepower with simple bolt on additions.

#4 ·
Maverick88 said:
Good afternoon to all of the Hotrodder membership. By way of introduction, I am a 63 year old fart who grew up going to dragstrips and thoroughly enjoying it. Recently, 13 years ago, a friend of mine, who owns a 38Chevy coup, began taking me to the NSRA events in Hanover, Pa. and Richmond, VA. where I have observed 3-6,000 street rods. I AM HOOKED. It is my plan to acquire one in 2009, and am doing research now. Based on what I have observed, I like the 32-34 Ford coups and the 37/38 Chevy/Fords. When I buy mine, I plan to obtain on that is approximately 75% of what I would like to have, and from what I have seen, that cost could be $30,000. I would then modify it to my liking for about $10,000, thus having $40,000 for my toy for years to come.

My research has taken me to have a small chevy of at least 350 CI. to a large chevy block of no more than 454 CI. I believe I want a 4 speed transmission with an overdrive,,700R 4, or what is now the 4L60. That would provide me with a cruising speed wherevy the noise wouldn't be too bad. My exhaust will be in front of the rear wheels above the running board, so the noise will be greater. What I think I want is the following: a strong engine (400 to 450HP and torque good at 3,000RPM's); a transmission to match the engine (Automatic); a rear end to match the aforementioned (I'm thinking around 323-350).

I essentially have NO knowledge regarding the above, only what I think I want. This auto will NOT be a show car as I want to drive it to shows AS WELL AS around my community on weekends whenever I want. I want a BAD sound coming from my headers, which will be street legal. The only way I have been able to communicate the above is through my reading books and magazines and attending the NSRA events, which are great. Should anyone read this posting and wish to reply, May I thank you in advance for your time and knowledge. Cordially, Maverick
The use of a 700 trans will work well with a 3.73 gear in the rear end.

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.