Hot Rod Forum banner

First hotrod questions

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  foodog2 
#1 ·
I put this on the T-Bucket site since I have been looking at buckets but figure I would post here too. I got some feedback on my introduction but figured I woult try in the main forum. I have been reading for about a year and am getting close to making the purchase. I am down to three project/kit choices a Spirit 27, a Zipper roadster, or a Brookville 29 pickup. I really want a full hood with prefered louvered sides which I have not seen a Spirit 27 with a hood. I like the Zipper the best but like the idea of the steel body of the Brookville 29 roadster. The problem with both of those is price is about 7-10k more. I would like to use a Ford 302 and AOD or C4 transmission because I like the thought of a Ford motor in a Ford but might have to go Chevy. Brookville tells me the 302 needs a longer chassis for the stock body to fit a 302 so a 29 hiboy on a 32 chassis is the way to make it fit. Well that is a few grand more for the chassis or I have to modify the firewall. I believe the Zipper package is meant for a Chevy without fab work.

Since I am new to all this I plan to buy a turn key motor tranny combo from somewherr like Tough Dawg and want a complete roller package. I do not want to do any fab work since I know my limits and tools. This is where Spirit looks most attractive since it is pretty much complete as a kit. Where I think Zipper and Brookville roller packages are really expensive in comparisson and would need a Chevy motor. Nothing wrong with that I just like Fords but would run Chevy to make it easier and cheaper too. The only thing that bothers me about the Spirit is having to glass in the trunk.

I did not make it to the NTBA nationals like I planned but need to know which of these bodies has the most room? I am 5'11 260 so not small and the wife needs room too.

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's a link for engine sizes. I'm using a 302 and c4 in my modified. Chosen for a couple reasons.
1. Weight
2. Distributor in front.
Chevy is about 2 inches shorter in length if you use a short water pump but the rear mount distributor causes clearance issues with the firewall and you'll likely need to move the motor ahead for clearance.
Other thing to watch for on 302 is oil filter placement on drivers side front. Depending on what steering you use you might need room around the filter.
Popular American V8 Engine Dimensions

#4 ·
I know the Ford oil filter sometimes needs a relocation kit which looks fairly simple. I just do not want to get everything and realize a am 1.5" short or have to move the body or engine mount tabs. Engine fit and driver fit :) are my two main concerns. I can't weld or work metal so i need avarything to pretty much bolt together.

#6 ·
I know the Ford oil filter sometimes needs a relocation kit which looks fairly simple. I just do not want to get everything and realize a am 1.5" short or have to move the body or engine mount tabs. Engine fit and driver fit :) are my two main concerns. I can't weld or work metal so i need avarything to pretty much bolt together.

#10 ·
Here's a reality check for you....and I'm not trying to be a dick but it's just the truth. I'm building a f/glass w/ steel fenders '32 Ford Victoria....for about 6 years now. These hot rods are expensive to build, if you think you're going to buy a "kit" (and I hate that word) and just bolt everything together then you need to do some more research. It's not that easy and they ALL need some type of fabrication work. There's a million things to do to these cars to finish them and everything costs money......hense the 6 yrs. so far build time.

I would forget the Zipper, they are very small inside. The Brookville bodies are nice but they all need work, I know 2 guys that spent $25 thou for '32 coupe bodies and spent many hours getting the body ready for paint. Not to discourage or insult you but if you're not very knowledgeable about the mechanics of the build process you might look into buying a complete car thats for sale on the many hot rod classifieds...this forum, ebay etc. Due to the economy there are some very good deals out there. Just some food for thought.........Dave

#11 ·
bucket body

when u were on the ntba did u get a chance to talk to ron of "RPM" motors ??? he is a member and does body building and fabrication.. he just be up your Allie on this one.. there are companies that make longer and wider bodies..
and i agree with 327 nut.. they ain't plug and play..

#18 ·
Op, what you get with the "kit" is an unfinished body and a basic frame. You can't just slap the two together and drive.
You still have to buy your engine and your transmission and your wheels and your brakes and your tires and your lights and your belts and your hoses and your seats and your steering column and your steering wheel and your pedals and your brake lines and your wiring and your fuel system and your radiator and your wiring harness..... That's just some of the bigger stuff. Don't forget about your little stuff like your fuses and your lug nuts and your door handles and your shifter and your radio and your speakers and your gauges and your seatbelts and your headers and your exhaust and your fans and your relays and your brake pads and your bushings.... The list goes on and on.
I hope you see all the stuff that makes it so dang expensive. So if you're not willing to source parts, and modify them to fit, and fabricate brackets and such, then building a car is not for you and you need to buy one already built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.