First Motor Build - a Mopar 451 Stroker? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 AM

Last journal entry: Rear End Disassembly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First Motor Build - a Mopar 451 Stroker?

Thanks to a recent post by F-Bird'88, I've decided to debate building a Mopar 451 Stoker Motor for my studebaker project. Thank you for the info F-Bird, I wanted to build on my own, and now it seems that I can find an economical way to build a powerful motor.

I would like some input from you experienced rodders. I've never built a motor from the ground up. I've torn into and repaired top ends on motorbikes/muscle cars, but never tinkered with setting bearing clearances, and everything necessary to do a build. However, being a mechanical engineer, I'm quite meticulous and research and read a TON to make sure a job is done correctly.

So my questions to you: How did your first engine build turn out? Is it a bad idea to make my first engine build a stroker? And most importantly, are there a lot of minor details (small o-rings, tricks of the experienced trade) which a "How-To" book would leave out which you rodders would know to look for just because of previous experience?

I would like to purchase "How To Rebuild Big Block Mopar Engines", among a couple other books and read before I start.

Lastly, I found a 400 block for sale about 5hrs away. It has been sitting for quite some time. How often are old blocks cracked? Are there any areas of the block which commonly crack and would be easy to pick out prior to purchase?

THANK YOU!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If it were I, I wouldn`t try to do any fancy stroker combo for my first build, I would go with the simple route of building a basic 440 or which ever cubic inches you desire that was avalible from the factory. These engines are easy to build and this is how you learn engine building skills by starting out easy.
Advice I can give is make sure the bores are clean. Honing impregnates the grit in the cylinder wall and it must be scrubbed to be gotten out. I mention this as it`s what many new builders neglect to do. With a paper towl and WD40 with a quick wipe will tell you if the bores clean. if you see gray on the paper towel it`s not clean.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

go to mopartech.net these guys no there s*it they will tell u straight up without being a as* about it.

they will help u build your first engine step by step all the way. u will see me on there as i am a mopar guy too hope to see u there l8ter cope
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

DoubleVision: And what would be your reasoning for not doing a stroker for a first build? Perhaps the amount of money with a possibility of not doing it right? Otherwise, as long as all components are layed out properly, the majority of machine work in the block will be done in shop.

Cope: I will definitely check that out. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM

i'm building a 541 now too. i don't see a 451 mopar being that big of a deal for a first build. the crank gets all the grinding. all he has to do is check for clearance between the rods, counterweights, & the block during mock up. my 400 block needed nothing, & that was using h beam rods.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

building engines is easy as long as you keep it clean, have good tools, and take your time.

using a book is a great way to start and many provide checklists to use as you go.

CLEANLINESS IS GODLINESS, you should be able to eat off the floor in your assembly area. I'm not joking, its very important, ask anyone who's ruined a crank and a set of bearing on startup.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Cost has nothing to do with it. It has to do with something called Experience, which is something there is no subtitute for.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM

all he needs is someone to help him. i wouldn't advise him to build a 434 stroker small block Chevy, but a 451 mopar is basically straight forward. tell the crank grinder to turn the 440 mains down to the 400 size. the counter weights will also need trimmed down to 7.25 to aid in balancing. pretty much the crank grinder does all the work on this particular stroker combination. everything else will go together like a basic rebuild. he will need no more help with this than he would a 440.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nitro man
all he needs is someone to help him. i wouldn't advise him to build a 434 stroker small block Chevy, but a 451 mopar is basically straight forward. tell the crank grinder to turn the 440 mains down to the 400 size. the counter weights will also need trimmed down to 7.25 to aid in balancing. pretty much the crank grinder does all the work on this particular stroker combination. everything else will go together like a basic rebuild. he will need no more help with this than he would a 440.

and that was my impression as well. 440source.com sells pre-machined and balanced forged rotating assemblies. they specialize in turning new 440 cranks down to fit inside a 400 block (for journals and counterweights).

a machine shop would simply machine a 400 block accordingly to specifications, and the stroker assembly should bolt in place (outside of small areas in the block which may need to be ground for rod clearance???)

DoubleVision, I understand your concern, and I feel the same way, but I don't see a major difference in experience to build a stroker 451 vs. a stock motor. Given the one scary area being the large amount of money invested hoping the first build went well.

As I may be picking up a 400 block soon, any suggestions on checking for cracks?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gtx
...any suggestions on checking for cracks?
A good visual check w/bright light to start with, if you find nothing (webs, head bolt to bore or water jacket, cylinder, etc.) haul it down to the machine shop for a magnaflux check.

Only costs a few dollars, and if you're going to have them do work on it, might be a freebie.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

i'm a big block mopar freak. i have 10 big block mopar engines in my garages. the 400 is a b block engine/ not that good of a block. intake and dist is different from b block and rb block. you will be better off to start with a 440 or 413 block.the early 361,and later 400 are b block,some 383 are b block. all 413,426,440 are a raised block(rb) some 383 are rb block too. a visual check for cracks is great, but you need to take the block to a machine shop to get checked out. rule of thumb is to buy a block very cheap that way your not out alot of money. my $.02 is to start with a 440 or 413 and you don't need to stroke an engine for horsepower.

Last edited by randyhemi; 05-01-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.