First paint attempt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

First paint attempt

I have a panel that I would like to paint half red and half white. I was going to paint the white first, let it dry. then mask off the area that I want to paint red. I want to make sure that I don't pull up the white after the red is painted when I remove the tape. Do I remove the tape between coats? How dry should the paint be before I remove the tape? Also, I am unsure how to get rid of the ridge that will probably be created between the two colors. I'm not sure if i'm on the right track or not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

The ridge should rub out and make sure you buy the right tape...from a painting supply store to be used on auto body repairs...not something you pickup at the hardware store.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:57 AM

Selection of tape is very important. 3M makes good tape. I prefer the blue colored version. It seems to remove easier.

You might also check into a plastic tape called "Fineline". You will be able to find it at auto paint stores. Most people use it when they are doing graphics work. It comes in a variety of different sizes.

If you aren't sure when to pull it, I would suggest shooting a test panel at the same time. Pull the tape on the test panel to see how things go.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:45 PM

If I remember this right, you may want to pull the tape as soon as the last coat is stringy. If it is not set all the way, it should blend (flow) in to the surface better with less of a ridge. The trick is to pull it soon enough, yet not so soon that it deforms and runs onto your other area. It needs to tack up pretty well. I have just done something like this with PPG urethane. It was cooler out and on the first pull, the tape seemed to pull the paint a bit and slighlty distort the line. The second one I left until it was hard or soft enough to just put your finger print in it. I have heard of some guys using a double tape line. If you do a search, the topic has been covered here.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:57 AM

Last photo:

hi, you failed to say if you were using a basecoat/clearcoat or a single stage paint system. if a bc/cc then do as you said, spray the panel white then wait 24 hours mask off for the red and shoot that. let dry 1/2 hour, pull the masking and then clear. if a single stage do the same thing however depending on the temp. 24 hours is the minimum you should wait before putting any tape on the white surface. your better off waiting a couple days just to play it safe. if your paint is fairly fresh and you apply any type of tape, when you remove it, it will leave tape marks in the white surface. once you fire on the red you want to do as ron said and pull the masking off while the paint is somewhat fresh, but not so fresh that the red is still stringy. pull a small one inch section back on the tape, if it doesn't string then your ok. you dont want the red strings to fall into the white paint. pulling the tape while its fresh will keep the ridge from being so high. if you dont like the ridge you can buff it a little but be careful not to burn the edge away. if you truely dont want to feel any edge at all then you must us bc/cc system or get a clearcoat that is compatable with your paint system and apply that, sand smooth and clear again.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

is it something you can roll the tape on?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 AM

Spray the white first. Then your red. When masking the line, use fineline tape. It doesn't leave as harsh of an edge as regular tape. After using the fine line mask the rest with regular tape/paper. The edge that is left can be wet sanded with 2000 grit paper. The entire panel can be recleared or the sand scratches can be buffed out.

Oh yeah i forgot a few things. The white paint will not pull up if the panel has been properly preped. After the white is sprayed wait a few an hour or two to tape and apply the second color. Depending on what type of paint you are using you don't want to wait a few days to do the second step. Some paints have to scuffed and sprayed again if you wait to long between steps. This is you are using a base coat clear coat system.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.