First Paint Guns - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemarie View Post

That is exactly what I will be starting with, small parts. The firewall is actually the first part we will be painting.

I had read somewhere regarding the air hose. The compressor has a filter right after it so I am planning on getting a new hose, to make sure it's a clean line, and then adding an additional filter 50 ft after...does this sound correct?

Off topic..saw your post on the new interior...beautiful!

Thanks guys!
Both new hose and second filter sound like good ideas. A drier would be a good idea to pair with that second filter.

Thanks for the compliment! I posted most of the build in that new forum - Projects/Builds/MyRide (or something like that) - '33 Ford Tudor build.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
Both new hose and second filter sound like good ideas. A drier would be a good idea to pair with that second filter.

Thanks for the compliment! I posted most of the build in that new forum - Projects/Builds/MyRide (or something like that) - '33 Ford Tudor build.
A dryer!? What? I don't know about those! Do I just look for a compressor dryer?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

That is exactly what I will be starting with, small parts. The firewall is actually the first part we will be painting.

I had read somewhere regarding the air hose. The compressor has a filter right after it so I am planning on getting a new hose, to make sure it's a clean line, and then adding an additional filter 50 ft after...does this sound correct?

Off topic..saw your post on the new interior...beautiful!

Thanks guys!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, I somehow posted that twice.

If you look up compressed air filters you will find some are paired with a drier. Helps trap any moisture that makes it that far.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sorry, I somehow posted that twice.

If you look up compressed air filters you will find some are paired with a drier. Helps trap any moisture that makes it that far.
Glad u cleared that up...I searched compressor dryers and these huge dryers came out that cost more than my compressor

Ok, I will make sure to get one with a dryer...now the dryer should be right after the compressor not the one 50ft after or the other way around?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
A dryer!? What? I don't know about those! Do I just look for a compressor dryer?
A dryer is exactly what it sounds like...it's placed in the air line and removes moisture in the line...they can be fairly pricey though...you can check out "air line dryers". When using air tools, like an impact wrench, you wouldn't notice the need for a dryer as much as if you had moisture in the lines and you where painting, the moisture could go through the gun and contaminate the paint, leaving noticeable imperfections in what your painting. They are wonderful...but, I know of a lot of full time shops that don't have one, but, they do have a compressor large enough to operate their daily needs...that's the potential difference.

If you not painting large areas, you may be OK...try painting small pieces first, let your compressor cool between painting sessions and if your not painting a complete car, chances are you will be fine but, with your drive and attention that you are paying to detail, I wouldn't be surprised if you get into this full time and need a dryer...and a bigger compressor...LOL

Ray
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Sorry Bob...I'm not sure if she needs a dryer as I explained in my previous post, you guys must have posted when I was posting. What I feel they need to do is see if they are getting moisture in the lines when they're heavily using the compressor with an air tool...like an impact...it won't really hurt the impact but would show if they are getting moisture.

Dryer's can be expensive...and I'm not totally sure that it's an investment right now that they need to make.

Ray
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OK, now I'm confused...are we talking electric dryer's or deseccant dryers...deseccant dryers are affordable, it's the electric one that are more money than many compressors...my bad...good investment...It's getting late out here and I need a Snickers.

Yes Deseccant Dryers are a good idea and they are installed before any air outlet coupler.

Sorry, I was thinking electric.

Ray
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
A dryer is exactly what it sounds like...it's placed in the air line and removes moisture in the line...they can be fairly pricey though...you can check out "air line dryers". When using air tools, like an impact wrench, you wouldn't notice the need for a dryer as much as if you had moisture in the lines and you where painting, the moisture could go through the gun and contaminate the paint, leaving noticeable imperfections in what your painting. They are wonderful...but, I know of a lot of full time shops that don't have one, but, they do have a compressor large enough to operate their daily needs...that's the potential difference.

If you not painting large areas, you may be OK...try painting small pieces first, let your compressor cool between painting sessions and if your not painting a complete car, chances are you will be fine but, with your drive and attention that you are paying to detail, I wouldn't be surprised if you get into this full time and need a dryer...and a bigger compressor...LOL

Ray
Yeah, with all the humidity here in Miami I think it is best I get one. Also I have seen some moisture, noticed it when sandblasting.

I do like to do things right and after reading one of your post, about working and loving what you do, I am highly concerned that I am going to get hooked on spaying. I love sandblasting as I love seeing how a piece is transformed right in front of your eyes. I imagine that spaying will be a similar feeling. I already hog the sandblasting cabinet and don't let anyone sandblast! Since husband has done no research on spraying I can always use that as the excuse for hogging the gun.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

Ray, Yes I was thinking dessicant drier.

AnnMarie, Ray knows his stuff and won't steer you wrong. I fully expect you will be hooked spraying. No reason you can't be the top dog at your house when it comes to painting!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks for the kind words Bob.

Thanks Annemarie...I again apologize for my one track mindedness.

Annemarie, if you like sandblasting...trust me you'll love painting. I always feel that the car is my canvas...and I will say I like how thorough you are, it shows a lot of attention to detail...and that's something that every painter can never have enough of. If there's any information you need, feel free to contact me, I'll help wherever I can.

Ray
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
OK, now I'm confused...are we talking electric dryer's or deseccant dryers...deseccant dryers are affordable, it's the electric one that are more money than many compressors...my bad...good investment...It's getting late out here and I need a Snickers.

Yes Deseccant Dryers are a good idea and they are installed before any air outlet coupler.

Sorry, I was thinking electric.

Ray
Ok, so blessing Ray....
  • DeVilbiss 130525 QC3 3-Stage Air Filter/Dryer Unit
  • Desiccant Snake DS20 DEV-130502
  • DeVilbiss Auto Refinish Products-Rhi-01 Relative Humidity Indicator
  • Devilbiss (DEV703517) TEKNA ProLite Spray Gun, Uncupped with 1.3, 1.4 Needle TE20, HV30
  • Cupless DeVILBISS FinishLine 4 HVLP Spray Gun with both 1.3mm and 1.8mm Tips plus an Air Valve Regulator
  • Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-4 Spray Paint Gun 2.2 mm Fluid Tip and Seal Kit
  • Devilbiss Dekups 24 oz Reusable Sleeve/Lid (2)
  • DeVilbiss (DEVDPC601) DeKups Disposable Cups and Lids - 24 oz.

Quote:
Ray, Yes I was thinking dessicant drier.

AnnMarie, Ray knows his stuff and won't steer you wrong. I fully expect you will be hooked spraying. No reason you can't be the top dog at your house when it comes to painting!
Thanks Bob!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OK Annemarie...here goes.

DeVilbiss 130525 QC3 3-Stage Air Filter/Dryer Unit
Desiccant Snake DS20 DEV-130502
DeVilbiss Auto Refinish Products-Rhi-01 Relative Humidity Indicator

All good products...just wondering on cost, do you mind telling me where you plan on getting them from...I just may be able to save you a few dollars.

Devilbiss (DEV703517) TEKNA ProLite Spray Gun, Uncupped with 1.3, 1.4 Needle TE20, HV30
Good choice, I'm sure you'l be happy...again where and how much?

Cupless DeVILBISS FinishLine 4 HVLP Spray Gun with both 1.3mm and 1.8mm Tips plus an Air Valve Regulator
Finishline is an entry level gun, what where you planing on using it for? I assume base coat.

Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-4 Spray Paint Gun 2.2 mm Fluid Tip and Seal Kit
I'm assuming that this is your primer gun by the tip size...let me know what your budget is (or where your getting these guns and how much they're asking). I think I can can make a few suggestions that might save you money and get equipment that would last longer and possibly perform a bit better.

Devilbiss Dekups 24 oz Reusable Sleeve/Lid (2)
DeVilbiss (DEVDPC601) DeKups Disposable Cups and Lids - 24 oz.
I'm not that big a fan of Devilbus D-Cups...I've had several situations where they have leaked on me. I prefer the 3M version which is called the PPS system. They don't leak, If you buy a box of product, along with devilbus guns they generally throw in the hard cups and the adapters for free.

If you don't mind giving me the cost and where information, I may be able to save you a few dollars and get you better equipment...I can shop around with a few online suppliers that I've used and help out.

I always hate asking how much...but money is money and I'm not going to say for sure I can save you money but, it may be worth a try. I can check as soon as you give me the information I used to be a paint rep for several major manufacturer's and I know a few suppliers that may help out....no guarantees but I'm willing to try.

Let me know.

Ray
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

I am to waiting on how the budget looks like so I can suggest a few things.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
OK Annemarie...here goes.

All good products...just wondering on cost, do you mind telling me where you plan on getting them from...I just may be able to save you a few dollars.

I always hate asking how much...but money is money and I'm not going to say for sure I can save you money but, it may be worth a try. I can check as soon as you give me the information I used to be a paint rep for several major manufacturer's and I know a few suppliers that may help out....no guarantees but I'm willing to try.

Let me know.

Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel85lx View Post
I am to waiting on how the budget looks like so I can suggest a few things.

So guys..you asked....

Price + Freight......different options, but in all about $1K

Devilbiss (DEV703488) Tekna Copper Limited Edition HE Gravity Uncupped Spray Gun
Amazon.com: Devilbiss (DEV703488) Tekna Copper Limited Edition HE Gravity Uncupped Spray Gun: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Devilbiss (DEV703488) Tekna Copper Limited Edition HE Gravity Uncupped Spray Gun: Home Improvement
$292.33 $9.95 $302.28

OR

Devilbiss (DEV703517) TEKNA ProLite Spray Gun, Uncupped with 1.3, 1.4 Needle TE20, HV30
Devilbiss 703517 Tekna Pro-Lite Premium Spray Gun 1.3, 1.4mm TE20 & HV30 Uncupped
$349.62 $8.85 $358.47

Devilbiss 130525QC3
Search Results
$151.47 $3.00 $154.47 (Extra $3.00 if I buy the gun here)
OR
$145.88 $9.95 $155.83
QC3 Air Filter and Dryer at National Tool Warehouse

Desiccant Snake Devilbiss DS20
CamAir Desiccant Snake - DS20 Inline Desiccant Filter at National Tool Warehouse
$19.66 $9.95 $29.61 (free if I buy the Dryer here)

Devilbiss 130502 DS20 Desiccant Snake
$21.80 $11.00 $32.80 (crazy shipping)

Devilbiss 130503 RHI-01 Humidity Indicator
Devilbiss 130503 RHI-01 Humidity Indicator
$27.53 $3.00 $31.53 (Extra if bought with other)

Cupless DeVILBISS FinishLine 4 HVLP Spray Gun with both 1.3mm and 1.8mm Tips plus an Air Valve Regulator
Cupless DeVILBISS FinishLine 4 HVLP Spray Gun with both 1.3mm and 1.8mm Tips plus an Air Valve Regulator : Amazon.com : Automotive Cupless DeVILBISS FinishLine 4 HVLP Spray Gun with both 1.3mm and 1.8mm Tips plus an Air Valve Regulator : Amazon.com : Automotive
$169.96 $7.59 $177.55

Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-4 Spray Paint Gun 2.2 mm Fluid Tip and Seal Kit
Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-4 Spray Paint Gun 2.2 mm Fluid Tip and Seal Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-4 Spray Paint Gun 2.2 mm Fluid Tip and Seal Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive
$46.99 $9.95 $56.94

3M 16300 PPS Standard
3M 16300 PPS Standard Size Kit with 125 Micron Filters : Amazon.com : Automotive 3M 16300 PPS Standard Size Kit with 125 Micron Filters : Amazon.com : Automotive
$92.45 $0.00 $92.45

3M 16001 PPS Standard Cup and Collar, (Box of 2)
3M 16001 PPS Standard Cup and Collar, (Box of 2) : Amazon.com : Automotive 3M 16001 PPS Standard Cup and Collar, (Box of 2) : Amazon.com : Automotive
$28.54 $0.00 $28.54

3M PPS #15 PPS Adapter
3M PPS # 15 Paint Preparation System Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive 3M PPS # 15 Paint Preparation System Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive
$15.99 $4.95 $20.94 (2x)

Pluse I forgot the most import partů.a respirator! I have to look for that and the new hose.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.