Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First project car? Nova, Falcon, other?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoo View Post
From the comparisons I've read thus far, people seem to give the Nova the nod in terms of ease of modding, price, etc., while the Falcon is the less common with more interesting styling.
I believe starting w/a vehicle that has a good supply of parts and info will pay dividends come rebuild/body/trim/interior parts replacement time. Hunting the junkyards for good sheetmetal can be a real chore, for example.

The early Chevy II/Nova (through '67) have a fairly good support in the aftermarket and could make a good project. Nothing has the support of the F-cars, though (Camaro/Firebird), but everyone has one it seems.

Early Mustangs have good support, much better than the Falcon or Comet- but lacks the niche appeal to some (I suspect you fall into this group, as do I). But you have to ask yourself if working w/a "one-off" is worth it, especially being as how this will be your first excursion into this field in earnest.

Now, if this will be a keeper, you might want to go the extra mile (and dollar) to work w/a one-off. Otherwise keep more to the mainstream until you get more experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
benmoo (09-29-2012)