Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - First project car? Nova, Falcon, other?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Hotrod n00b

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I believe starting w/a vehicle that has a good supply of parts and info will pay dividends come rebuild/body/trim/interior parts replacement time. Hunting the junkyards for good sheetmetal can be a real chore, for example.

The early Chevy II/Nova (through '67) have a fairly good support in the aftermarket and could make a good project. Nothing has the support of the F-cars, though (Camaro/Firebird), but everyone has one it seems.

Early Mustangs have good support, much better than the Falcon or Comet- but lacks the niche appeal to some (I suspect you fall into this group, as do I). But you have to ask yourself if working w/a "one-off" is worth it, especially being as how this will be your first excursion into this field in earnest.

Now, if this will be a keeper, you might want to go the extra mile (and dollar) to work w/a one-off. Otherwise keep more to the mainstream until you get more experience.
Yes, you have me pegged correctly. I am not into the pony cars. I am specifically going after something pedestrian (4 doors only).

Also, like you said, I want this first build to not necessarily be a rare car. I'd like to knock out a couple project cars before restoring something more rare/collectible.