Hot Rod Forum banner

First project car? Nova, Falcon, other?

12K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Stanlyf 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm still relatively new to the car scene, having only bought my first car about six years ago. Since then I've rebuilt and modified four cars (three Integras and one BMW). I think I'm getting the hang of things, having learned a lot and acquired a good set of tools (and a place to put them).

Now that I'm looking for my next project and have more disposable income, I'm pretty set on getting a 1960's car to make my own.

Originally, I was set on a 65 Galaxie, loving the vertical headlights and boxy body style. However, I don't want something that large as I want this to be my daily driver.

Then, I got set on a 65 Comet since it shared a lot of design elements with the Galaxie, and I wanted to drop it on a Panther chassis (having the same width and wheelbase). Right now I don't have the space necessary to take on this project so I'm sidelining it for the moment.

After scouring Craigslist for years and getting a sense of what's out there, I'm less inclined to get a single-model-year car like the 65 Comet. I'm now looking to the cars that are most readily available, and therefore easier to find a nice example of and get (cheap) parts for.

This has led me to two cars which I see as being quite similar. The 64-65 Falcon, and the 62-65 Chevy II (Nova).

From the comparisons I've read thus far, people seem to give the Nova the nod in terms of ease of modding, price, etc., while the Falcon is the less common with more interesting styling.

I'm looking for anyone that has first hand experience with these two cars, or any other compact 1960's car that would be a good first classic car.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#31 ·
I vote for the Chrysler A-body. The same basic car was built from '67-'76, and the upgrades of the later years like the brakes fit on the early years. The V8-equipped cars can support EFI 318/5.2 and 360/5.9 engines through 2003 in the vans and Dakota, and parts are plentiful.

#32 ·
OK, now I've got two Pontiacs on my radar. Aside from that black one in Stockton, this one just popped up and is much closer to me:

1965 Pontiac Lemans

Both are about $6000. This one is a two owner, recently restored. I'm going to go look at it this Saturday. He said the rear window seal is leaking moisture (not streams of water) and as a result the rear parcel tray has some rust. Is this a red flag? I usually wouldn't consider this a deal breaker.

#33 ·
A lot of car of that era rust around the lip that holds the rear window in. I don't think it's a deal breaker, but it might be a way to negotiate the price down a bit.

Go to Collector Car Market Review Pricing and check out the suggested value. Value is really what you can get it for and how bad you want it, collector car values aren't like newer car blue book pricing. Pricing in guides is partially based on auction and other reportable sales results, but there is some estimating as well.

From what I can see and the description that is somewhere between a #2 and #3 car (IMHO). It's also a Tempest -- there were no LeMans four doors, at least not in 65. That would put it in the $4000-$5000 range, not $6000. Top value for a #2 (remember, most show cars you see are #2 -- a #1 car is a top pro resto trailered to shows, or a museum quality resto) is $5500-$5600.

Would $6K be too much to pay for it? Not if you really like/want it. Print the value and condition guide pages out and take them with you when you look at it though. $5K would be a more fair price, but it really depends on how much you like it and what your other options are. On the plus side it looks ready to roll. If you plan on using it as a daily driver that 326 is going to get old fast, but it will put a smile on your face -- until you hit the gas pumps. You're probably looking at 18 mpg on a good day of interstate travel, keeping it no more than 65 mph (MAYBE 70... but no more!), an average of 15-16 mpg. If more fun is better than more mileage that won't matter...

I'd pay $6K for that one before I'd go for a cheap car that needs a lot of work.

#34 ·
According to Old Ride there was a Lemans 4dr Sedan:
1965 PONTIAC TEMPEST Information Specifications Resources Pictures
I guess I'll know soon enough when I see the VIN.

Thanks for the link to that market pricing website, very useful!

As for the horrible mileage, I'm already used to that with my Crown Vic. I appreciate the continued input as I search and search. Looking at old cars is completely foreign to me so this is helping me be more patient.

#35 ·
That Crown Vic should get better mileage than the Tempest/LeMans would. The CV should get around 23 mpg highway/16 city, and average around 19 mpg (according to Fuel Economy).

I was going by the price guide when stating there wasn't a LeMans four door. I just looked at a few other sources and yes, there should be a LeMans four door model for 65. It's the top trim for the Tempest body (Pontiac GM A-body). That might add another $300-500 to the pricing, but no where near the LeMans two door models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.